• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 7 phone

simearl

Lurker
Apr 16, 2010
Not sure if this is in the right place but I wanted to ask this question. With the upcoming release of the Windows phone what advantage does it have over other platforms such as Android? With all the hype I dont understand how it could be any better than the Android platform. So with that can someone explain to me how anyone would want a Windows based phone?:D

Pros:
-GPU accelerated UI
-Zune integration (media player is better than anything on Android in terms of aesthetics)
-Office integration
-Outlook (contacts, calendar, tasks, etc.)
-Xbox Live integration
-MS controls the updates directly, not the OEM or carrier (though the carrier has some say)

Cons:
-Zune integration (limited codec support that will be fine for mainstream users)
-Closed ecosystem (requires sync software, rather than having drag/drop support, and supposedly won't even offer SD card support)
-You're stuck on the stock UI
-New platform which means some incomplete or missing features at the start (copy/paste, for example), as well as an immature app store that I'm sure will grow fast
-The browser does not offer decent support for HTML5 (it's based on IE7 with some IE8 elements)

Basically, imagine an iPhone from 2007 or 2008 (the locked down nature of it), but add in native support for MS's software (Office, Zune, Live). It looks to be a nice platform, but I still think it will fail. It doesn't offer what corporate users want (since corporate apps must be vetted inside an app store now), it's missing features from existing WinMo handsets, it's trying to be an iPhone but is about 2 years behind, and despite those limitations, doesn't compensate like Android does by being open.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
There are several benefits that WP7 has over Android

1. Manufacturer and wireless carrier bloatware removal without root
2. Updates come through Microsoft rather than manufacturers and wireless carriers
3. Tight Office, Exchange, and Xbox Live integration
4. Great set of core apps, ie. Zune, Exchange, etc

So basically you're getting a system like the iPhone, with the choose your hardware element of Android. Android still wins in the customization department though, and always will.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
There are several benefits that WP7 has over Android

1. Manufacturer and wireless carrier bloatware removal without root
2. Updates come through Microsoft rather than manufacturers and wireless carriers
3. Tight Office, Exchange, and Xbox Live integration
4. Great set of core apps, ie. Zune, Exchange, etc

So basically you're getting a system like the iPhone, with the choose your hardware element of Android. Android still wins in the customization department though, and always will.

This I agree with though I think the average user doesn't care so much about customization. I've heard a lot of good things about Phone 7 and I think it will end up being somewhat of a success for MS. I don't think it will dethrone iOS or Android though.

Upvote 0
This I agree with though I think the average user doesn't care so much about customization. I've heard a lot of good things about Phone 7 and I think it will end up being somewhat of a success for MS. I don't think it will dethrone iOS or Android though.

Exactly. I have a feeling that Windows phones are going to take a good chunk of market share.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones