• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 7 Wont Recognize my new Nexus S !!!! help please

The Nexus S does things a little different in terms of the connectivity to a PC. First off, it seems to use a bog standard USB driver in Win 7 rather than a proprietory one - does not show up in device manager as anything special. Secondly, you need to look at your phone as it will initiate the connection to your PC via input on its touchscreen interface. It should ask you whether you want to connect via USB, folowed by a warning about disabling apps whilst on the USB connection. If you don't even get to the stage where the Nexus S recognises being hooked up to a PC than its definately a cennectivity issue. I'm on Windoes 7 32bit and had no problems with the device being found first time and any subsequent times. It could be also the USB data cable. I found that smartphones are rather temperamental when it comes to physical connections with cables, particularly in a 64bit environment. Try another cable and see if this solves the problem. If you have access to another Windows 7 machine try hooking it up to it as you do not need to install any software or drivers.

Upvote 0
The Nexus S does things a little different in terms of the connectivity to a PC. First off, it seems to use a bog standard USB driver in Win 7 rather than a proprietory one - does not show up in device manager as anything special. Secondly, you need to look at your phone as it will initiate the connection to your PC via input on its touchscreen interface. It should ask you whether you want to connect via USB, folowed by a warning about disabling apps whilst on the USB connection. If you don't even get to the stage where the Nexus S recognises being hooked up to a PC than its definately a cennectivity issue. I'm on Windoes 7 32bit and had no problems with the device being found first time and any subsequent times. It could be also the USB data cable. I found that smartphones are rather temperamental when it comes to physical connections with cables, particularly in a 64bit environment. Try another cable and see if this solves the problem. If you have access to another Windows 7 machine try hooking it up to it as you do not need to install any software or drivers.

I am having the same issue although the phone did work for about a month and now all of a sudden nothing! I have a seidio desktop charger so I plug it in every day and I did see that screen every time and I used to hear a tone when I plugged it in and took it off but now nothing. I talked to Sprint and samsung and ther ewas no real help but Sprint said there is a known issue of this happening and there is no fix yet. They do not know if it is a hardware, software or computer issue. I did try another computer and when it pligs in it searched for a driver and tells me that the usb device is malfunctioning and to replace it?

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue although the phone did work for about a month and now all of a sudden nothing! I have a seidio desktop charger so I plug it in every day and I did see that screen every time and I used to hear a tone when I plugged it in and took it off but now nothing. I talked to Sprint and samsung and ther ewas no real help but Sprint said there is a known issue of this happening and there is no fix yet. They do not know if it is a hardware, software or computer issue. I did try another computer and when it pligs in it searched for a driver and tells me that the usb device is malfunctioning and to replace it?

As mentioned before - try another USB cable.

Upvote 0
First you need to save all of the data to your USB partition. For this purpose you can get apps in the market. The one I use costs around $5 and is called MyBackup Pro, but there are others that may cost less or indeed that are free - just do some research if you don't want to pay. Anyway, one you've installed the app backup all relevant data that you wish to retain and then connect your Nexus to your PC turening on USB storage.
Simply copy the entire contents of your USB storage to a folder on your PC. After that restore your Nexus. When done and after you gone through the initial setup, hook up your Nexus and copy the contents of the folder you copied your data into back to the USB partition on the Nexus. Then download the app you downloaded for the backup and restore your data - it should find the backup folder on the USB partition automatically. That's it.

Upvote 0
First you need to save all of the data to your USB partition. For this purpose you can get apps in the market. The one I use costs around $5 and is called MyBackup Pro, but there are others that may cost less or indeed that are free - just do some research if you don't want to pay. Anyway, one you've installed the app backup all relevant data that you wish to retain and then connect your Nexus to your PC turening on USB storage.
Simply copy the entire contents of your USB storage to a folder on your PC. After that restore your Nexus. When done and after you gone through the initial setup, hook up your Nexus and copy the contents of the folder you copied your data into back to the USB partition on the Nexus. Then download the app you downloaded for the backup and restore your data - it should find the backup folder on the USB partition automatically. That's it.
That would be great but I cannot connect my nexux to my computer for USB. That is what I am trying to fix.

Upvote 0
Download EStrongs File Explorer, it's free and connect to your PC via WiFi. Just add your PC by means of it's IP address (if you don't know this just get a command prompt by typing in cmd and return, followed by 'ipconfig' and hit return - this should show you the IP configuration; your PC's IP address is going to be the one listed under IPv4 something like 192.xxx.x.x - enter that in EStrongs). Then copy and paste.

Upvote 0
That would be great but I cannot connect my nexux to my computer for USB. That is what I am trying to fix.

MyBackup Pro has an option to let you backup you files to their servers online.

You could also access your phone's storage using an FTP Server app (I like SwiFTP). All you need is an FTP client on your PC (I prefer FileZilla). This would let you copy your pictures manually or grab the backup file your backup app creates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones