1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Windows 8 Deactivates when I plug in my phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by musiclover7, Dec 29, 2012.

1. musiclover7

musiclover7 Well-Known Member

This is really odd. I have 2 Windows 8 computers in my house, both of which were recently upgraded from 7 (though I am still not sure if counts as an upgrade). Starting today, when I plug my galaxy into my downstairs computer, it no longer shows up in my computer. In addition, it also somehow deactivates windows. I called up microsoft and gave them a big wtf, only to find out, that the phone was the problem. As soon as I unplugged the phone, windows activates again. I used to be able to transfer files too and from my phone just fine on this computer. Now I can only do it from my upstairs computer. any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Perhaps you need to download the drivers manually. I'm on myphone now and cannot link you to Samsungs website:D

musiclover7 likes this.
  3. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast

That is extremely strange. Did you upgrade from a manufacturers image or a retail install of Win 7? Also, windows 8 or windows 8 pro?

musiclover7 likes this.
  4. motoracer1486

motoracer1486 Android Enthusiast

Of course Microsoft will pass the blame.

5. musiclover7

It is a fresh install of Windows 8 pro. It was working fine in the morning. I transferred a few files to my phone. Then, it stopped working a few hours later, and has not worked since.. Quite strange.. The phone shows up as itself in device manager, it just does not display in my computer, and somehow, it de-activates windows while it is plugged in.. Gotta love it..

6. musiclover7

I am going to try a manual driver download.. will let you all know..

7. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

try installing the latest version of kies and see if it helps with the drivers issue. If the phone is showing up in device manager try right clicking and updating driver from there asking it to search online and see if it helps. Otherwise u could simply just use kies air/air droid to transfer files over wifi.

musiclover7 likes this.
  8. musiclover7

None of these worked, though thanks for the suggestions. I have a thread open over at eightforums on the subject as well..

9. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Android Enthusiast

OK What exactly do you mean it deactivates windows? Are you talking about the activation code for windows? the software license?

10. sly3d

sly3d Lurker

Have the same problem with my Samsung Note and Samsung S2 LTE phones.
    Windows 8 deactivates 5-6 times a day.

I unplug my devices, reactivate Windows 8, and plug Note or S2 back for another 2-3 hours.

Then everything deactivates again.

Those bastards (Samsung and Microsoft) know about this issue since November 2012. And do nothing about this.

There is a tread at official Microsoft support forum about it.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/0xd0000010-windows-deactivates-when-samsung-galaxy/fa47bd42-9866-4cc7-9611-f01c7de7702d

I wonder how long it will continue and now one will do anything about it? My bet is from 6 month to 1 year.

11. ceva321

ceva321 Android Enthusiast

Thats weird..i have no problems with my galaxy s3 or my galaxy note 2 on my HP laptop that i just upgrade it to Windows 8.

it might be your computer....

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews