• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 8 tablet, or Galaxy Note?

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
For starters, and a background story, I currently have a Nexus 7 tablet, and my experience has been alright, for a $200 device, here and there I just felt like throwing it like a Frisbee because of stutter and lag.
I will be attending college this year and mainly want something that will be great at taking notes with in my class, because I will need to take a lot of math to be a computer engineer. I know Samsung has S note on their Galaxy devices, as well as they do on their ATIV devices. Which is the one I would got if I move to a windows tablet. They also have One Note, in case I don't like S note too much.

Both tablets are capable of mostly everything I want to do, mainly typing documents, web browsing, note taking. I am a fan of Google, a big fan, and not so much a Microsoft fan. I kind of see the windows tablet as a better buy, because its more powerful, and stays up to date, unlike a Galaxy note. Which I think was just updated to jellybean, but will it get key lime pi as well?

I don't know, I kind of want to experience something new, but at the same time, I love android and don't want my bias decision make me make the wrong choice. What do you all think?

I have no experience with either, so I can't make any [informed] recommendations. However:

I will be attending college this year and mainly want something that will be great at taking notes with in my class, because I will need to take a lot of math to be a computer engineer.
When I went to college in the Stone Age, er, the 1980s, we didn't have new-fangled contraptions like tablets. BUT, even if we had, I cannot IMAGINE taking math notes (or chemistry, physics, or other courses I took in pre-med) via any method but my trusty mechanical pencil and paper. I mean, seriously, with all the symbols and everything involved in math [and other] equations/formulas, I can't see how ANY device can be as quick and efficient as pencil and paper.

Reactions: zefaia and mikedt
Upvote 0
I have no experience with either, so I can't make any [informed] recommendations. However:

When I went to college in the Stone Age, er, the 1980s, we didn't have new-fangled contraptions like tablets. BUT, even if we had, I cannot IMAGINE taking math notes (or chemistry, physics, or other courses I took in pre-med) via any method but my trusty mechanical pencil and paper. I mean, seriously, with all the symbols and everything involved in math [and other] equations/formulas, I can't see how ANY device can be as quick and efficient as pencil and paper.

That's what all my students use, notebooks and pens or mechanical pencils. I don't wish to hear beeping or "My battery has gone flat, can I plug it in?" or "Can you hold on a moment, it's crashed.". If they want to transcribe their notes electronically, they can do so in their own time.

The school rule is, personal electronics are not allowed to be used in the classrooms during lessons. Any student caught using a phone or a tablet or something, it's confiscated, and they can get it back at the end of the week.

I know Samsung has S note on their Galaxy devices, as well as they do on their ATIV devices. Which is the one I would got if I move to a windows tablet. They also have One Note, in case I don't like S note too much.

If there's one noise I do NOT wish to hear during my lessons, is that bloody plopping sound that Samsung have added to their flavour of Android....that really grinds my gears.

To be helpful, if you do want to take math notes and formulae on a tablet, the Samsung S Pen is probably the best there is. But make sure you're thoroughly familiar with it, and take a pen and notebook as well to classes and lectures, just in case the tablet craps out on you.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
That's what all my students use, notebooks and pens or mechanical pencils. I don't wish to hear beeping or "My battery has gone flat, can I plug it in?" or "Can you hold on a moment, it's crashed.". If they want to transcribe their notes electronically, they can do so in their own time.

The school rule is, personal electronics are not allowed to be used in the classrooms during lessons. Any student caught using a phone or a tablet or something, it's confiscated, and they can get it back at the end of the week.

If there's one noise I do NOT wish to hear during my lessons, is that bloody plopping sound that Samsung have added to their flavour of Android....that really grinds my gears.

To be helpful, if you do want to take math notes and formulae on a tablet, the Samsung S Pen is probably the best there is. But make sure you're thoroughly familiar with it, and take a pen and notebook as well to classes and lectures, just in case the tablet craps out on you.

Computers are allowed in college. Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure to them the tablet on silent while using it on the classroom.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Computers are allowed in college.

Of course I'm in China, so schools and colleges are very different to the US. And I have my own ideas and experiences as well, as a former student and now teacher. :)

Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure to them the tablet on silent while using it on the classroom.

On your course, you probably will have to take down and work a lot of math formulae and notes. That's why I'm thinking of a Samsung device with S Pen, and have a notebook and pen or pencil handy as well.

Upvote 0
Of course I'm in China, so schools and colleges are very different to the US. And I have my own ideas and experiences as well, as a former student and now teacher. :)

On your course, you probably will have to take down and work a lot of math formulae and notes. That's why I'm thinking of a Samsung device with S Pen, and have a notebook and pen or pencil handy as well.

S pens are amazing and useful technology.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones