• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

windows 8

I purchased a new notebook and had the choice of win8 or win7. I am reluctant to change as most are, but decided to give win8 a try. I really wish I stuck with 7.

The removal of the start menu is, in my eyes inexcusable. At least with the removal of the quick launch you could get it back again without 3rd party apps.

Metro is horrible without a touch screen. I hate when I move my mouse to the edge of the screen and something pops out at me like a Jack in the box.

When I bought the notebook I had only heard good things about 8. so I went in with a pretty optimistic attitude. That did not last very long.

I knew things were going to be bad from the start when it wanted me to sign in using my MSN account. Then really tiny it says you can make a local account.

Upvote 0
You can configure Windows 8 to be exactly like Windows 7.

You dont need a 3rd party app to get Quick Launch icons back. You just right click the taskbar, choose New Toolbar, and select your quick launch folder. Quick Launch folder is here:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Although i hardly use the start menu, i installed it because i felt lost without it being there. I use StartIsBack. 30 day trial, costs like $5, you can install on like 5 machines.

If you want your pc to boot to desktop mode, put your "Show Desktop" icon in your Start Up folder, which is located here:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you want to skip the start screen and password screen, type "netplwiz" at the start screen, and open the app. Where it says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", uncheck the box. You can follow the directions here:
How to bypass the Windows 8 log-in screen | Microsoft - CNET News

Note that "AppData" folder is hidden. Youll have to type it in the bar, or copy/paste my link.
Windows 8 is actually much faster, both booting and performance, compared to Windows 7. Im 99% happy with my $40 upgrade.

Upvote 0
Why make win8 feel like 7? What are the benefits of having 8 over 7?

Some people are saying it's faster than 7. I myself am so glad I've got Win 7 on both my PCs, even though faster would be better.

If Microsoft don't make a new OS that allows the user to have a full Win 7 experience (through settings, if need be - I don't mind), then when they stop supporting Win 7 and it no longer supports hardware and software I am moving over to Linux 100%, forgoing dual boot.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0

Windows 8 is like the beginning of the new computers, and this is Microsoft's way of making their computers build for the computers of tomorrow, and I think this is a good approach. As more and more people use tablets, like iPad, and And Android devices Microsoft saw that the traditional computer was dying off for most people. As what any iPad, or android device can do that is what most people will need, but the traditional computer was still there for the professionalism.
I think Microsoft got into the game like this so that can make a computer for both the average people who use tablets for the regular things like social networking, and email, and things like that, and also for the people who still need to have desktop applications like Photoshop and video editors. This is a good way to have two computers in one.

Reactions: n0tall0wed
Upvote 0

It is faster overall, improvements in boot time, touch screen interface if you want or need it, and the "reset" feature (you lose your programs and apps but all your data remains and Windows is reverted back to fresh install state, saved my butt when my install got corrupted).

Windows 8 is like the beginning of the new computers, and this is Microsoft's way of making their computers build for the computers of tomorrow, and I think this is a good approach. As more and more people use tablets, like iPad, and And Android devices Microsoft saw that the traditional computer was dying off for most people. As what any iPad, or android device can do that is what most people will need, but the traditional computer was still there for the professionalism.
I think Microsoft got into the game like this so that can make a computer for both the average people who use tablets for the regular things like social networking, and email, and things like that, and also for the people who still need to have desktop applications like Photoshop and video editors. This is a good way to have two computers in one.

You've hit on a very good point, MS is gearing W8 for touch screen use and I think they are taking the proper course making it a skin on top of Windows instead of a separate OS.

I have it on all my systems and once you add the start menu program of your choice I really don't see where there is any room for complaint, quite the contrary it is definitely improved over 7.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Windows 8.1 will include boot to desktop option

"Microsoft is planning to change the way its Start Screen operates with the release of Windows 8.1. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company is currently testing builds of Windows 8.1, known as codename Windows Blue, that include an option to boot directly to the traditional desktop. We're told that the option is disabled by default, allowing users to simply turn on the functionality should they want to avoid the "Metro" Start Screen at initial boot or login." - The Verge

Upvote 0
Windows 8.1 will include boot to desktop option

"Microsoft is planning to change the way its Start Screen operates with the release of Windows 8.1. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company is currently testing builds of Windows 8.1, known as codename Windows Blue, that include an option to boot directly to the traditional desktop. We're told that the option is disabled by default, allowing users to simply turn on the functionality should they want to avoid the "Metro" Start Screen at initial boot or login." - The Verge

So are MS back-pedalling and more or less admitting that people don't like "Metro" and it's unpopular?

I'd suspect it's because not everyone wants the Start menu and any applications completely filling an entire 30inch desktop monitor, with no windowing capabilities. It would be OK on a tablet though I think.

Upvote 0
You can do the same with Windows 8, 2 different ways. I usually just type it directly into the modern UI

"modern UI" or "Modern" is that MS's formal name for the Windows 8 UI now? I know they stopped calling it "Metro" while back because of trademark issues, and then it didn't seem to have a name at all. Rather like Prince..."The Artist Formerly Known as Prince"...

"The UI Formerly Known as Metro" :D I just kept on calling it "Metro" to give an idea of what I was referring to.

Upvote 0
"modern UI" or "Modern" is that MS's formal name for the Windows 8 UI now? I know they stopped calling it "Metro" while back because of trademark issues, and then it didn't seem to have a name at all. Rather like Prince..."The Artist Formerly Known as Prince"...

"The UI Formerly Known as Metro" :D I just kept on calling it "Metro" to give an idea of what I was referring to.
It's modern UI. That's what Microsoft calls it. And it works exactly like the Start menu, but with more features, cleaner interface, and a different way to use the computer.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
It's modern UI. That's what Microsoft calls it. And it works exactly like the Start menu, but with more features, cleaner interface, and a different way to use the computer.

I have to disagree. Its not clean, its clutter and any app or system settings accessed that is not from the Store will bring you to a butchered version of the classic windows we are all use to. 1 interface is all I ask. I backed up Win8 and now run Mint, far more efficient.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree. Its not clean, its clutter and any app or system settings accessed that is not from the Store will bring you to a butchered version of the classic windows we are all use to. 1 interface is all I ask. I backed up Win8 and now run Mint, far more efficient.

Install Start 8 and it will be functionally no different than 7 and has the speed improvements 8 brings to the table. The missing start menu is the only difference in the desktop version of 8.

Reactions: andruoid
Upvote 0

Same here actually. I think what originally took the shine from Windows 8 for me, was the international activation crap I had to go through. :mad: Which I've already posted about in this thread.

With the modern UI menu, on my 21 inch desktop PC monitor it all looked like huge kiddie buttons, with a lot of sideways scrolling to find the things I wanted. That's why I posted the AOL '96 thing a while back, and the Fisher Price references. :D Just wasn't appealing to me. I installed classic Shell, was happier then. That also gave me back quick access to Shut Down and Log Off, instead of having to navigate through the Charms thing to find it. I believe all modern UI apps from the MS app store run full screen as well, with no way to window them. I don't want say something like Skype filling my whole monitor. I'm sure it can work in the right situation, like a tablet. Not so good on large desktop PC monitors IMO.

BTW I didn't like Ubuntu's Unity UI either.

I've stopped using Win 8 completely now, although I've still got the license key. I've got two laptops. One is now Mint only, that I bought locally and came with pirated Win 7(welcome to rural China). And the other one came with legit Win 7(which is fine), I bought in Hong Kong, and this one dual boots Mint.

Upvote 0
Install Start 8 and it will be functionally no different than 7 and has the speed improvements 8 brings to the table. The missing start menu is the only difference in the desktop version of 8.

Maybe. ;) Only if I find Mint limiting, which highly doubt as I've used Mint since version 9. Mint 14 absolutely flies on this i5 based laptop. Win8 was no slouch on this system either but the RAM and overall system resources gained by not using Win8 is clear. RAM usage alone went from 1.2GB at boot to 500MB after Mint was installed.

Thanks for that Start 8 tip though $5 would be worth it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones