• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Windows File Explorer crashes when attempting to transfer photos from phone via USB

Galaxy Edge with Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop).

When I connect my phone via USB to Microsoft Surface running Win10, Windows Explorer will eventually shut down saying "device has stopped working" or something like that.

I first thought it was Windows Explorer, so downloaded another file explorer and it too sees the problem. I then switched from MTP to PTP protocol to no avail. Next I changed Windows default behavior from "open folder to view files" to "do nothing". Lastly I changed the default folder view from Medium icons to details.

Nothing works. What is going on here?

UPDATE - this problem seems to be unique to Win10 and/or Surface. I don't have same problem on win7 laptop.

thanks.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones