• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows Phone to Android?

manwithdog

Lurker
Sep 16, 2012
UK
Hi all.

Until this year I was using a contract Android Phone. Namely the HTC Desire HD on Orange/T Mobile network here in the UK. When my contract was up I decided to give the Windows Phone 8 a try thinking that I 'may' also move to Windows 8 on the PC, and that the two 'may' be beneficial in some way. It wasn't and isn't! lol.

Anyway. I have had this Nokia Lumia 820 now for the past 3 months and I would like to sell it and buy something like a Galaxy S2 off ebay.

My questions to all you experts here are...

1. Would I be okay to sell a phone that I currently have on contract? (I've used the first 3 months of 24)

2. If so, would I be able to move the sim to the Galaxy and just continue with the contract on that phone?

I was thinking of asking Orange this, but I didn't want them moaning at me etc. lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the US you are free to sell your phone as long as you continue making your monthly payments. I assume it's the same way overseas.

And you should be able to just drop the sim card in any phone and it will work (assuming it has the correct radios).

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums ... and your dog. ;)

Here's the quick answer.

Probably.

1. If you sell the phone, it will be locked to the carrier and most likely won't be able to be unlocked until your contract is satisfied. So, if you sell it, you'll have to sell it to someone else on the Orange network. They might unlock it early, but that's entirely up to them.

2. Sure. All they care about is the mobile contract, not the handset. Both are smartphones so they would use the same data plan.

I swap handsets all the time (On AT&T in the US, but it's a GSM network, so it would be the same for you). If the phone is a model they recognize, they'll know if the plan is correct for your handset. If they don't recognize the model (like every Nexus I've had) it's just a generic device, but it works just fine.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones