1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Windows share question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kfh, Dec 26, 2012.

1. kfh

kfh Lurker

Hello,

I've searched around quite a bit and can't find a specific solution to what I'm looking for so here goes. I'm running a stock (non-rooted) Razr Maxx. Using the built in "Files" application, I am able to connect to my PC with Wi-Fi , go under "Remote Storage" and add several folders I have shared on my PC (Windows 7). It works great and I can browse through the folders, and what I especially like that that it mounts these folders to the phone under "/storage/rfs#" and this makes for extremely easy access from music players etc. The problem I am experiencing, however, is that many folders contain A LOT (1000+) of files but viewing them on the phone is limited to a max of 255 files, and some folders do not display all files for no apparent reason while they are all obviously there and I can see them from the computer just fine.

I installed ES File Explorer, I can add the computer easy enough, and when I browse those folders all of the files show up no problem; there is no 255 file limit and no "missing" files. The problem is that, as far as I can tell, there is no way to mount the shared folders onto the phones file system with ES (or any other utility) like the "Files" built in app can.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is:
    - Is there a way to fix "Files" app to make it not fail to display files correctly
    - Is there a way for other utilities to mount the Windows shares like "Files" app does

I will root it if I have to, however I just got the Jellybean OTA update the other day and I'm not sure the rooting procedures developed for ICS will work without bricking it and I just bought the phone so I'd as soon not risk it unless people can verify it works for sure.

Thanks in advance!

-Ken

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kfh

kfh Lurker

I recall using an app on my rooted Thunderbolt, might have been CIFS Manager or similar, that was supposed to do this but it was problematic and I don't believe I ever got it working correctly although that was some time ago and I seem to recall it needing root access.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews