• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows share question

kfh

Lurker
Dec 26, 2012
Arizona
Hello,

I've searched around quite a bit and can't find a specific solution to what I'm looking for so here goes. I'm running a stock (non-rooted) Razr Maxx. Using the built in "Files" application, I am able to connect to my PC with Wi-Fi , go under "Remote Storage" and add several folders I have shared on my PC (Windows 7). It works great and I can browse through the folders, and what I especially like that that it mounts these folders to the phone under "/storage/rfs#" and this makes for extremely easy access from music players etc. The problem I am experiencing, however, is that many folders contain A LOT (1000+) of files but viewing them on the phone is limited to a max of 255 files, and some folders do not display all files for no apparent reason while they are all obviously there and I can see them from the computer just fine.

I installed ES File Explorer, I can add the computer easy enough, and when I browse those folders all of the files show up no problem; there is no 255 file limit and no "missing" files. The problem is that, as far as I can tell, there is no way to mount the shared folders onto the phones file system with ES (or any other utility) like the "Files" built in app can.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is:
- Is there a way to fix "Files" app to make it not fail to display files correctly
- Is there a way for other utilities to mount the Windows shares like "Files" app does

I will root it if I have to, however I just got the Jellybean OTA update the other day and I'm not sure the rooting procedures developed for ICS will work without bricking it and I just bought the phone so I'd as soon not risk it unless people can verify it works for sure.

Thanks in advance!

-Ken

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones