• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Windows XP does not show Epic in My Computer

akleo78

Lurker
Sep 21, 2010
I have read the previous threads, but still having no luck getting my Samsung Epic to show in My Computer. So I decided to post a new thread. After connecting the phone to my PC, I select Mount and turn on USB storage on the phone then windows shows "Found New Hardware" then asks me to install the new hardware. When I install the hardware, new device shows under "Other Devices" in Device Manager with a yellow icon (?) in front of it as if it is still unrecognized device.

I am not allowed to install the drivers on my PC since it is a company PC. My coworkers did not have to install drivers to get the EPIC show in My Computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm having the same problem connecting to my windows xp desktop. I originally thought my epic was defective but it seems to be a common problem with older computers with xp. I ended up purchasing a file sharing app that allows me to transfer files from my desktop to my phone via wifi. It's the best thing I can do until samsung fixes this issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses. After an hour of frustration, I was able to figure it out. Here's what I had to do to get it to work:
I unplugged the USB cable, disabled/unchecked "USB debugging" option in Home > Settings > Applications > Development. Then plugged the USB cable to one of the USB ports in back of the computer then I went to notifications in my phone and tapped on "USB connected" and Picked the Mount option on the next screen. At some point, there was another screen with 3 options (i. Charging, ii. mass storage, iii. Tethering mode) and I picked the last one ("Mass Storage").

I did not need to install any drivers.

Thanks for all the responses!

Upvote 0
Try all of the USB ports on the desktop. Weird, but trust me.
Or, as suggested, get a cheap USB card reader, and use that.

I have a dell computer at work. I was trying to connect my epic through the usb ports on the monitor - this was giving me connection errors. I tried installing the samsung drivers, this still did not work. I finally moved to the usb port on the tower and bingo, everything works great.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses. After an hour of frustration, I was able to figure it out. Here's what I had to do to get it to work:
I unplugged the USB cable, disabled/unchecked "USB debugging" option in Home > Settings > Applications > Development. Then plugged the USB cable to one of the USB ports in back of the computer then I went to notifications in my phone and tapped on "USB connected" and Picked the Mount option on the next screen. At some point, there was another screen with 3 options (i. Charging, ii. mass storage, iii. Tethering mode) and I picked the last one ("Mass Storage").

I did not need to install any drivers.

Thanks for all the responses!

Thanx, this worked perfectly. Simply disabling the USB DeBugging is what corrected the problem.

Upvote 0
After connecting the phone to my PC, I select Mount and turn on USB storage on the phone then windows shows "Found New Hardware" then asks me to install the new hardware. When I install the hardware, new device shows under "Other Devices" in Device Manager with a yellow icon (?) in front of it as if it is still unrecognized device.

I had this same problem, even turning "Debugging" off and trying multiple cables and USB ports. Finally figured out my version of Windows XP is so old (5 years) I didn't have the right drivers.

Go here:
Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700 USB Driver for Windows 7/Vista/XP - Free device drivers Download

Download this driver:
Samsung Mobile Driver 1.3.800 for Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700

All I had to do was follow directions for install, and by the time it was finished I got all sorts of wonderful messages from my computer "recognizing" and "successfully installing" my Epic! Yay! :)

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
Originally Posted by davesr1980
if your tried a new usb cord and check your setting and updated drivers although windows usually update for and your finally frustrated as hell try this...
lets manually set the usb for storage because it might not be registering specially if your phone is rooted....

plug your phone up to your computer and follow steps
open your phone dial-er now press ##8778# what should come up as soon as you press #

Uart
modem
pda
USB
modem
pda

under usb make sure the pda is checked i sometimes checked under uart- pda is checked the computer should automatically register the phone once the pda is checked for the usb, but if not disconnect phone and connect back also i am using a Kodak camera download cable seems tobe the best download cable i have used...:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones