1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Windscreen mount for Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by patrol, Aug 12, 2012.

1. patrol

patrol Newbie

Does anyone know of a good heavy duty windscreen or dash mount for the Nexus 7?
    I bought the Nexus to use for GPS/ moving maps for Off Road use, so I need a windscreen or dash mount that is fairly robust.
    -I'd prefer a mount that is specific to the Nexus (but will concider a universal type), one that will support it around the base/ sides/ front.
    -I'd also prefer one that has a BIG windscreen suction mount.
    These aren't critical points, just more desireable features as it's for Off Road use (high amounts of vibration)
    So if anyone has any good leads on brands or suppliers, please let me know. Thanks:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

I heard some one say they were using there sun visor, which I thought is a good idea so am going to try and fix it in now :)

3. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

Av just tried it and it looks good on the sun visor, but I need 2 straps to hold it in place that I can make at work tomorrow, and it doesn't cut my vision when I am driving and cost a lot cheaper than a cradle.

4. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

it gets too hot where I live. I'd be afraid of my n7 melting

5. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

Stolen comes to my mind.... :D

6. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

Not if you use the sun visor because it doesn't leave a sucker ring to say that you may have satnav in your car for them to rob

7. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert

Speaking from experience if you go for a windshield mount make sure to remove it before hitting the road. I got a ticket for a obstructed windshield for a 4" GPS in the lower, middle portion of my windshield.

If you're dead set on it, truckers use GPS that is 7" might want to check out sales at your local truck stop chain.

8. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

I would go with strapping it to your sun visor for going 4X4ing, wouldn't trust a cradle with the weight and car being thrown About it would fall off.

9. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

It looks like it would fall out if you did serious 4X4ing :) and I don't mean using your 4X4's to go the shop's

10. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

Just watched the video, that sucker's going no were :) but I bet it cost a few grand, mind you the one in the picture is not the one in the video

11. patrol

patrol Newbie

12. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

13. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert

I was going to recommend Brodit too. Their stuff has always been good. Maybe worth looking to see if they have or will do a powered cradle though.

14. patrol

patrol Newbie

15. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Android Enthusiast

I am not sure I would want a 7" tablet on my dash or windscreen, especially when Sygic provide such a good sat nav for the phone, with excellent direction and lane guidance (hardly ever use Google maps these days). Not a bad price in the play store.

16. colchiro

17. Nutz

Nutz Member

I have the DURAGADGET for my Vauxhall Corsa 1.4. The suction mount is quite bulky so I didn't mount it on the windscreen, but rather on the driver's side window where it works quite well. The air-vent mounting doesn't work - the Nexus 7 is too heavy and tends to lean towards the floor!

18. rootbrain

rootbrain Android Enthusiast

19. colchiro

Most of them are... :D

20. DC IT

DC IT Member

I found this car mount in Canada Computers use it in my BMW 335d. I have it secured to the cup holder which is at the right level for convenient viewing.
    I attach an OBD Torque Scan to the vehicle so I can view the readings on the N7.
    My Galaxy Note is mounted on the windshield and sync to my vehicle's Radio via BT. I often use the Google Maps/Nav to counter check the vehicle's NAV since Google Maps and traffic are more up to date.

[​IMG]

21. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert

So um...how do you see out the windshield?

22. DC IT

DC IT Member

That's a close up view of the center part of the vehicle, the windshield is hardly obstructed by the GNote.
    The N7 is below the dash so not blocking my view of the road.
    The N7 is connected to the GNote's hotspot WiFi.

23. walshy37

walshy37 Newbie

[​IMG]just put my nexus 7 on my windshield (sun visor) and it works well, all I used was a wallet and to straps :) [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us