• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WINE on Android? (using a windows capable desktop?)

notyu1459

Lurker
Oct 26, 2010
Android is cool looking. Android is greatly customizable. Android would be a fun way to navigate your home computer.....except it doesn't run windows apps.

Wine should be ported to Android for desktop use. I'm not asking my phone to run Halo, I just want to be able to do what you can do with any other desktop version of Linux. It's probably way more fun navigating with Android than Vista. (haven't done it yet, because of no WINE)

So......Can anyone do this?

It would also be cool to have a custom built version of Android with built in WINE support so that it "just runs" Windows Programs.

What Windows programs are you wanting to run? Bear in mind that your phone doesn't have nearly the power of your desktop so you're not going to be able to run the vast majority of programs designed for Windows. In Linux, you're still running in a desktop environment so your desktop has the physical resources to run Windows programs. Your phone does not.

Upvote 0
Android is cool looking. Android is greatly customizable. Android would be a fun way to navigate your home computer.....except it doesn't run windows apps.

Translation, Android needs to run Windows apps.

Wine should be ported to Android for desktop use. I'm not asking my phone to run Halo, I just want to be able to do what you can do with any other desktop version of Linux. It's probably way more fun navigating with Android than Vista. (haven't done it yet, because of no WINE)

So......Can anyone do this?
I have no idea what this means. You don't want your phone to run Windows apps.

It would also be cool to have a custom built version of Android with built in WINE support so that it "just runs" Windows Programs.
You want your phone to run Windows apps. What am I misreading here? You stated that Android needs to run Windows apps. There is an Android for i386 project if you want that. They're at 1.6 right now though.

Upvote 0
Quote: "(using a windows capable desktop?)"

"Wine should be ported to Android for desktop use."

It's probably way more fun navigating with Android than Vista.

NOT my phone. My DESKTOP COMPUTER. Android would be an AWESOME DESKTOP INTERFACE if it could run WINDOWS APPS. I have Ubuntu currently on my computer, but I don't like the UI too mucht. It would be REALLY fun using Android on my desktop computer INSTEAD if it ALSO had a WINE release.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I hope I'm clear now.

Upvote 0
A.Nonymous, Android can run on more platforms than just phones.
notyu is, I think, asking about Android on a PC. For instance, I have Android x86 running on a netbook.

I guess it should be possible to run Wine, yes, as long as it's on Android x86. I know that there are project to port Wine to other CPUs but performance is likely to be abysmal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones