1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

WinRAR or 7zip?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Westonispro, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Westonispro

Westonispro Member

The title says it. Which one is better?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sami055

sami055 Member

Why is this here?

3. ASJ80

ASJ80 Newbie

I'm guessing the OP is wanting to know whether to use Winrar or 7zip to either make or modify a ROM for the LG optimus elite.

Sorry, I don't know the answer though.

4. Artine

Artine Android Expert

I second that notion, however...

Personally, I don't think WinZip isn't really worth it unless you have WinZip Pro. WinRAR is lightweight and gets the job done, but is a little archaic, so I'd rank them as follows:
    1. WinZip
    2. WinRAR
    3. WinZip Pro.
    For making a ROM, however, I exclusively use WinRAR. With WinRAR's default compression set to Normal, for building a ROM all you have to do is take your pick of a ROM to build from (Aeneas, Tagged, or Sleipnir), in other words to use as your base, and then literally just drag and drop files in and out of the ROM. You don't have to do any resaving, as WinRAR automatically saves the changes once they're made, and you're good to go.

Westonispro likes this.
  5. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase

I personally used Winrar when I was modifying roms on windows...

If I was theming apks though I used 7zip.

So really, to answer this question, it depends what you're doing. Whether or not you're just dragging and dropping, or opening apks to theme.

Note, though, that extracting an apk will not allow you to modify xml files, you need to decompile it for that. ;)

6. Westonispro

Westonispro Member

I want to build a ROM for myself. I Also want to root a few of my friends phones for them.

7. Artine

Artine Android Expert

Seems like even a Guide uses WinRAR for this stuff too. As far as I know, that's the most common choice for building a ROM is to use WinRAR at a default compression level of Normal. And it's what I use. So I would go with that.

Also, WinRAR is free. Even though after a month it will bug you to buy it or whatever, just ignore the message and you can keep using it in full form - you don't have to pay anything at any time.

LG Optimus Elite Forum

The LG Optimus Elite release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews