• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wipe cache

Jon_LTD

Android Expert
Sep 6, 2011
Uk
A quick question which I dare say will be easily answerable.

I'm about to flash the Redux Rom using Clockwork 2.5.0.7.. However, I have been using Apps2SD+ (in conjunction with Teppic's Gingerbread Rom). Do I need to make sure this gets deleted as well?

I was going to apply the following in recovery:

- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition

I assume the wiping cache partition is the Dalvik? I don't want my Ext3 to cause any errors when I try and flash this new Rom.

Many thanks

Jon

Factory reset will wipe the sd-ext as well.

Cache is just market downloads. Dalvik is in /data by default, unless moved to sd-ext. But that's just for info - the wipes you propose are all you need (in fact factory reset will wipe cache as well, so wiping cache afterwards should not be needed).

Ah many thanks! I shall flash away if this is the case! :D

Thought as much, but I didn't want to cause myself a headache on a Sunday evening!

On a separate note, it is considered "good practice" to wipe both the cache and do a factory reset.. Even though the factory reset will suffice. Is this just being thorough for the sake of being thorough? Suits me to the ground as I like to leave no margin for error!

Upvote 0
Being casual about ROMs is fine - you can recover from any ROM mess-up anyway, painlessly if you have an intact nandroid.

Being casual with radios and hboots is a different matter, as a bad flash of either can leave you up the proverbial creek with no means of propulsion. Fastboot flash, from a laptop (protects against power cuts), under calm, controlled conditions is the best way to do these.

Upvote 0
hi Jon.
cool glad you sorted it. redux2 now?
yes I wipe everything when I flash.
enjoy :)

cheers
dan

Hey Dan,

Yup! On Redux 1.2 with adw.launcher. First impression is very nippy and slick. Market is constantly crashing.. I need to stop the auto updater (what a pain).
Better than Sense! I miss the dock bar but Sense had superior Widgets. Ah well, at least they can be substituted easily!

I'll certainly stick with this rom for the foreseeable future. Just what I need :D!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones