• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Wipe code instead of security code?

LouWags

Feb 18, 2012
After reading about this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/2...n-mugged-outside-family-home/?intcmp=trending

Makes me wonder if there is an app that will let you enter a wipe code before you give up your phone to a mugger. That way, the mugger can take your phone, thinking that it's still got all it's data but it won't work once they get around the corner.

Of course, you can always secure the folders and programs with various apps so the above is a little extreme but it's just a thought.

--Wag--

Interesting concept. So if your normal unlock code was 1-2-3-4-5 and your security wipe code was 0-0-0-0-0, it would unlock the phone, but after a short (user specified?) period, it would lock, wipe or completely disable the device?

I would think it would be possible to do, if something doesn't already exist, but it could have problems like actually remembering the code if you set it once and don't use it for months. And if you don't give it long enough, the thieves could be seriously ticked off and take it out on the victim, or if set for too long it would allow thieves to get your data off before it was disabled.

I think in this case it's just better to use a remote wipe/lock option like Android Device Manager.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones