1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wipe Data without un-rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cephraim, Feb 3, 2011.

1. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member

I am going to be selling my Hero to someone who would like it rooted (as it is now).

His plan is to use it in WiFi mode only and won't be activating it with Sprint.

Is there a way to clear all my private data (logins, bookmarks, contacts, calendars, etc.) without unrooting?

Will he then be able to enter his google account info and gain access to the Market though WiFi?

Thanks!
    Eph

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. srkmagnus

srkmagnus Well-Known Member

yes, factory reset can be done through the phone's settings under security, or through recovery by selecting wipe data/factory reset. When you reboot the phone you'll be greeted with the setup information.

3. cephraim

Can he then bypass activation and just have WiFi at that point?

And, will the phone remain rooted?

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Yes the phone will remain rooted, and yes he can by pass the activation screen, all he does it keeps pressing next at the beginning, and them simply set the WI FI up for his use

5. srkmagnus

When you get to the Android at the setup screen you can tap the upper four corners of the screen and it will by pass the setup process. From there you can just go to settings and login with Gmail and setup WiFi.

6. genuser

genuser Well-Known Member

This sounds like a neat back door, but how can there be four upper corners:D

7. srkmagnus

Count the two top then rotate the phone and count them again :p I meant the screen corners. lol

JB in AZ likes this.
  8. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

This gave me a good laugh, which I can use today. Thanks! :D

9. cephraim

Tried many different factory resets last night.
    Tried from recovery mode and from settings>privacy.

In each case, I got stuck in boot loops.

Also tried to wipe data, cache, dalvik and resintall the ROM from recovery. Same thing - boot loop.

All I could do was pull the battery and do a nand restore.

Any ideas?

10. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

At this point, it is probably just as easy to run the RUU from either the Sprint or HTC websites, then run z4root and re-root it for your friend. Then he will be able to just set up as described above..

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews