1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wipe device after too many failed logins

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by imperial07, Jan 23, 2012.

1. imperial07

imperial07 Newbie

I know this sounds like an odd question, most people dont want to wipe their device, however this is a work thing so ....

I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus here and was wondering if there is a way to set the device up so that after too many failed login attempts the device wipes itself?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. droogie2799

droogie2799 Member

The OS does have the ability to wipe, you just need an app to hook into that functionality based on login attempts. I am not aware of such an app but I don't scour the market place looking for these things...

3. imperial07

imperial07 Newbie

droogie, I just found an app called AutoWipe that would do what I want, however it is not compatible with the tablet. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks

4. droogie2799

droogie2799 Member

not compatible with the tablet? The OS call should be the same, I am surprised that the app wouldn't work on all android devices. I know Samsung has some additional device managment features but that should only add to the management features not obstruct the standard set.

5. imperial07

imperial07 Newbie

From what I can tell it works on Gingerbread and below device, it doesnt work on Honeycomb or ICS.

6. droogie2799

droogie2799 Member

Looks like you may be right about the apps support. Their appears to be a few apps that check your SMS messages for a specific format and then issue a wipe command to your device. There are also products that allow you to wipe your device through thier website, for instance if you lost your device. Why not passcode protect your phone and then grab one of these apps that let you remotely wipe your device? If you lose your device, just remotly wipe it.

All the wipe command needs to work is some app (web app is fine) calling the google C2DM server with the wipe command for your device. Once your device is online, it receives the wipe command and wipes...

7. imperial07

imperial07 Newbie

I have to pass that by the bosses. The reason for the specifics is we have other devices (iphones/pads, android phones, and blackberries) that we have that have the requirement that after so many bad password the device wipes itself. It was a policy put in place by our security team. We might be able to get around it with these devices, but not sure.

I was looking at the android SDK and it looks like they have a value set to do exactly what I am looking for, but no one seems to leverage it. If I get enough time I might just look in to building something myself.

8. droogie2799

droogie2799 Member

what is your device population size? Are you a greater than 1000 device shop?

There are enterprise MDM vendors out there that I am sure leverage the calls you are looking for.

9. imperial07

imperial07 Newbie

Device size at the moment is small, only about 20-30 devices. It could potentially grow past that, but I would assume that it still would not probably reach over 100.

10. droogie2799

droogie2799 Member

Well good luck in task of managing these devices. It's currently fairly painful due to the immaturity of the OS as well as a fragmentation.

11. imperial07

imperial07 Newbie

Understood, and thanks again for all the suggestions.