• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wipe personal info from stolen phone after deactivation

:mad: My Samsung Galaxy S4 was stolen yesterday in

FAIRFIELD, CA

I already reported stolen to sprint and the phone was deactivated. However, since I didn't have insurance on the phone sprint would not WIPE my personal information. I am more concerned about deleting personal data that actually receiving the phone (which I know is a lost cause).

I had phone tracking security apps on the phone but the thief disabled them. LOCK YOUR PHONE SCREEN!!!

After I transferred my service to an old replacement phone I had at home , and somewhat calmed down, I remembered that I had LookOut Mobile Security. I immediately logged in and tried to wipe and track my phone, *I didn't know was possible before. However, the "new" replacement phone is the one that shows up. So if I had wiped and tracked it would have wiped and tracked my replacement, which was in my possession.

QUESTIONS:
1. Anyway, is there a way to wipe the contents of the phone after it has been reported stolen and deactivated and I activated a replacement? MEID?

2. Can hackers "UN- deactivate" my stolen phone and try to use it?

3. Would it be helpful or harmful to publically post about my stolen phone & include the MEID #?
Basically put the stolen phone on blast in the area where I live AND online (Craigslist, bookoo)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answering the questions I have. Also if this has happened to you or you have dealt with a similar situation please let me know how you handled it. this sucks

Hello readytofight welcome to AF.

:mad: My Samsung Galaxy S4 was stolen yesterday in

FAIRFIELD, CA

I already reported stolen to sprint and the phone was deactivated.

That should mean the phone has been IMEI or MEID blacklisted. And is therefore unable to connect to the carrier, for voice, SMS and data.

However, since I didn't have insurance on the phone sprint would not WIPE my personal information. I am more concerned about deleting personal data that actually receiving the phone (which I know is a lost cause).

I had phone tracking security apps on the phone but the thief disabled them. LOCK YOUR PHONE SCREEN!!!

After I transferred my service to an old replacement phone I had at home , and somewhat calmed down, I remembered that I had LookOut Mobile Security. I immediately logged in and tried to wipe and track my phone, *I didn't know was possible before. However, the "new" replacement phone is the one that shows up. So if I had wiped and tracked it would have wiped and tracked my replacement, which was in my possession.

QUESTIONS:
1. Anyway, is there a way to wipe the contents of the phone after it has been reported stolen and deactivated and I activated a replacement? MEID?

If the stolen phone is not showing up in Lookout, there's a possibly that the thief could have factory reset it or not put it online with WiFi. If they've reset it, your personal data like contacts are gone, however photos, documents, videos, music, etc. will remain in the storage. Unless that's been erased or formatted.

2. Can hackers "UN- deactivate" my stolen phone and try to use it?

It might be possible, but manufacturers do try to make it as difficult as possible to change a phone's IMEI or MEID, and it's certainly unlawful to do that. There's a possiblity that the stolen phone is going to another country, where it isn't blacklisted. I've heard that phones stolen in Europe, often end-up in Africa.

3. Would it be helpful or harmful to publically post about my stolen phone & include the MEID #?
Basically put the stolen phone on blast in the area where I live AND online (Craigslist, bookoo)

I think you got nothing to lose in doing that at all. Stolen phones are frequently sold on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Althuogh if it's no longer in the country, you got no chance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answering the questions I have. Also if this has happened to you or you have dealt with a similar situation please let me know how you handled it. this sucks

Never had a phone stolen, but I lost a phone once in the UK. Reported the loss to the carrier, they blacklisted it and blocked the SIM, and that was the end of it, apart from replacing it. This was a few years ago, a Nokia with no way to track it or remotely wipe it at all, but it was locked.

Upvote 0
Hello readytofight welcome to AF.

That should mean the phone has been IMEI or MEID blacklisted. And is therefore unable to connect to the carrier, for voice, SMS and data.

If the stolen phone is not showing up in Lookout, there's a possibly that the thief could have factory reset it or not put it online with WiFi. If they've reset it, your personal data like contacts are gone, however photos, documents, videos, music, etc. will remain in the storage. Unless that's been erased or formatted.

It might be possible, but manufacturers do try to make it as difficult as possible to change a phone's IMEI or MEID, and it's certainly unlawful to do that. There's a possiblity that the stolen phone is going to another country, where it isn't blacklisted. I've heard that phones stolen in Europe, often end-up in Africa.

I think you got nothing to lose in doing that at all. Stolen phones are frequently sold on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Althuogh if it's no longer in the country, you got no chance.

Never had a phone stolen, but I lost a phone once in the UK. Reported the loss to the carrier, they blacklisted it and blocked the SIM, and that was the end of it, apart from replacing it. This was a few years ago, a Nokia with no way to track it or remotely wipe it at all, but it was locked.

Thank you so much. Hopefully the thief just erased my info. I'm still annoyed but I'll get over it... eventually. Just the thought of some stranger seeing my personal info makes my blood boil :mad:. I really feel violated. Oh well. We live and we learn...

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. Hopefully the thief just erased my info. I'm still annoyed but I'll get over it... eventually. Just the thought of some stranger seeing my personal info makes my blood boil :mad:. I really feel violated. Oh well. We live and we learn...

Next time also install Cerberus, you can hide it from the App drawer, and it will give you the ability to track and wipe your device. You can also lock it quick remotely so the thief can't FR. Doesn't mean the thief won't wipe your phone, but just might give you a little extra time finding it and or wiping it before they do figure out a way to FR. ;)

Cerberus Anti Theft

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones