1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Wipe required before Nand Restore?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by erisuser1, Aug 14, 2010.

1. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    This morning, just before AF went down, someone asked the question:

"Do I need to perform a "Wipe ... data/factory reset" before I perform a Nandroid restore?"

(Sorry, I don't remember what user posted that question; and it looks like we lost about 1.5 days worth of postings)

In any event, the answer is "No."; the Nandroid restore operation (in the Amon_RA recovery) wipes all the relevant partitions before it begins the restore operation in each one. Doing a wipe won't hurt anything though.

eu1

Advertisement

Galatia likes this.
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    eu1,

Thank you for posting a thread regarding this. Seen this question pop-up a few times and you've probably figured-out that there might be folks out there doing this without knowing that its not necessary.

I think it was cmotion that posed the question...perhaps he'll see this thread.

Hopefully they'll get the posts recovered / restored...it would suck if they didn't. Wish there was a status page on phandroid to let us know what is going on, etc.

Thanks again.

3. Great point for reference, eu1. :)

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    I'm actually still seeing squirrely behavior on the site (this thread was looping on loading adds when I clicked on Frisco's recent post flag)...also, phandroid.com proper itself is now down for maintenence.

Also, this was pretty funny: there were ads for this thread a little bit ago espousing the merits of data recovery services :eek: :D :) -- how funny is that!?

5. cmotion

cmotion Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Yeah, it was me who asked the question. Thanks eu1 and Scary for the responses. I did a wipe the first time, but haven't since. Good info to know. Wouldn't want to waste precious time wiping things when I could be exploring new Roms :)

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Whoah! Hold on there!

Just to avoid any possible confusion, "no wipe required" applies ONLY to RESTORING Nandroid backups, not to flashing a new ROM!

In the case of flashing a ROM from a .zip file on the SD card, you (almost) ALWAYS need to perform a wipe.

eu1