1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support wiped my desire and now it wont stop loading htc screen in a loop

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mirekeler, Jul 8, 2011.

1. mirekeler

mirekeler Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    so here is the short story, bought a htc desire factory unlocked in manchester.
    will only work here in canada on rogers and and fido. (same towers.)
    altho it wont get data just sms and calls (garbage.)
    anyways i want to be with koodo. (bell and telus towers.)
    i have being put under the impression that i need to install canadian firmware.
    so i have being searching everywhere and every link comes up dead.
    being stupid i backed up my phone and then wiped it thinking (maybe) but no.
    so now i am stuck in a loop of the htc loading screen unless i go to the root screen. i think thats what its called or the bios lol i dont know phones.

so in short short i need to get a OS loaded back on this phone any suggestions?

to all you thanks.
    cheers,

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Can you describe this "root screen"?

The reason it won't workproperly will be hardware not software by the way.

3. mirekeler

mirekeler Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    well if it is hard ware then i am f'ed i would assume. but any ways what happens is it keeps going to htc screen then restarts over and over unless i hold down the volume down button and the power button after i take and then put back in the battery. does that make sence?

oh and i just realized you live i leeds uk so what hardware differences are there over there that i now cant use it hear.

in other words what hardware would be different in the uk vs. canada?

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    The cell networks use different frequencies in the US and Canada to Europe. European radios are designed to work on European frequencies.

5. mirekeler

mirekeler Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    so bassically your saying i'm screwed? or is there something i can do? can a shop maybe change some hardware out or am i F***ED?

6. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    UK
    Try this,

1) take the battery out for 30 seconds

2) put the battery back in

3) press the back button and power button together and hold them down till a menu shows up

4) use the up & down volume buttons and highlight "Recovery" and press the power button (the phone will reboot to recovery)

5) use the up & down volume buttons and highlight "factory reset/wipe data" and press the power button

6) when this completes use the up & down volume buttons and highlight restart or reboot and press the power button

If all is well the phone should start normally.

7. mirekeler

mirekeler Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    yeah thats what i did in the first place i just tried it again and it is doing the same thing the phone turns onto the htc screen for about 30 seconds and then turns off for 3 then turns back on to that screen for 30 then off then on blah blah blah and rinse and repeat. so yeah lol it's goofy. and now seems like i wasted 420 pounds (GBP) or 700 dollars fun fun lol

8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    What puzzles me is that a factory reset doesn't affect the firmware, it just erases user apps, data and settings. So doing that should not put the phone into a boot loop. Are you sure you did nothing else?

Re. frequencies, you should be OK with GSM (hence the calls and SMS working) since the phone will handle both European and North American GSM frequencies. 2G data should also work, if enabled by the operator for your account. It's "just" 3G that you have the wrong hardware for.

9. mirekeler

mirekeler Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    yeah as for the frequencies thing thats what i figured and had also heard. but as for the firmware thing i am also at a loss. and that is all i did. if it was a computer i would just simply re install everything but it isnt so i am at a loss. if you can think of anything i cant make it worse so i would be up for trying anything. thanks yall

10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    OK, right now there are two ideas occur to me:

1) Take it to an HTC service centre and see whether they can fix it. Prob. best to tell them it is an EU model.

2) Try using an RUU (ROM Update Utility) to load a completely fresh set of software (what you said you'd do if it was a computer).

An RUU is a Windows program which HTC use to reflash a phone. Some updates have been released in this form, but most RUUs are leaks. A repository of them can be found at shipped-ROMs. If your phone was unbranded (and from the price I'm guessing it was an unlocked, unbranded handset) then you probably want RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe , which is the most recent one for an unbranded "World Wide English" phone. It won't let you run an RUU for a different phone version unless you have a "goldcard", but hopefully we won't need to do that (for further information, see the rooting guide from the "all about rooting" sticky in the root subforum, linked in red in my sig).

You want to check that the download is good, so the shipped-ROMs index I linked provides md5 codes for the RUUs.

Normally you need to be running Android to run one of these, but you can't do that (that's the problem!). So what you should do is boot the phone while pressing the "volume down" key. That will take you to the hboot screen (white, small menu of options). Connect the phone to the PC and you should see "fastboot usb" on the screen. Once that is showing you can run the RUU. You'll probably need some drivers, in which case installing HTC Sync (available as a download from HTC) should give you them - if not I'm sure someone else here can advise.

If all else fails there is a way of doing this without a PC, as long as you have a MicroSD reader so that we can copy a file onto the card, but we'll save that until needed.

Tags: