1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wiping my Desire clean of traces of me

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rushey, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

Hi

I'll be upgrading from my trusty Desire to a shiny new One X soon, so am wondering how I can make sure all traces of my apps, data, etc. are gone as I'll probably sell it on to one of those phone recycling places. Or maybe pass it on to a friend. Who knows?!

Anyway my Desire is S-OFF, rooted, CWM recovery and CM7.2 ROM. There'll be a few Nandroid backups on there, so presumably doing a fresh wipe and reinstall of CM7 won't quite be enough.

Anyone got any good suggestions, please?

Thanks

Rob

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Depends what state you want to sell it/pass it on in. Custom ROM or Stock? If recycle, RUU it.

3. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

So just a case of running an RUU from [ROM] Official HTC Desire RUU ROMS and OTA Update URLs - xda-developers , presumably the first one would be OK? As they're *.exe files, do they just run straight from Windows provided you've got the HTC drivers installed and USB debugging enabled?

Rob

4. SUroot

Use the 2.3.3 one. After all, why not?

Shipped ROMs

As you have a non HTC Sense rom, you connect the phone in fastboot (Back+power from off) and run the .exe from a windows PC. As you're not in android, USB debugging is irrelevant.

Just one thing, as you're s-Off, you'll need to flash the downgrader.img from alpharev website so the RUU will over write the alpharev HBOOT

Rushey likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

And remove (or wipe) the sd card.

Rushey likes this.
  6. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

Yep, I'll be keeping the SD Card (not that I can use it in my 1X!)

7. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

Just so I'm clear, do I flash the img before running the RUU or after?

8. SUroot

The current S-OFF hboot has write protection, meaning the RUU cannot over write it. So flash the downgrader first as the RUU CAN overwrite that.

Rushey likes this.
  9. rod9669

rod9669 Android Enthusiast

I was planning on sticking mine on eBay, with the original 8gig card, with Runnymede on it - might be of more interest to people who are worried about the lack of app space. Just found the original box and headphones that came with it as well - should more than pay for a car and desk kit for my One X :)

10. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

That's got me thinking!

11. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

Spent hours trying to get Runnymede to work. Installs fine via 4EXT but the reboot just gets stuck on the HTC white screen. Waited 1 hour, pulled the battery, reinstalled, waited another hour, same thing!

Gonna give up on that and just flash an RUU to at least get it working...

Rob

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews