1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Wiping my SD card - what happens to apps / settings etc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BOZG, May 5, 2011.

1. BOZG

BOZG Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Political hack
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi everyone,

My SD card has become somewhat cluttered from installing and uninstalling apps, downloading stuff etc so I'm thinking about just formatting it and starting afresh.

I've just installed wiped everything on the phone and installed the Gingerbread update and the Market has downloaded all the apps that I want. As far as I know all apps are on the phone unless some default to the SD card?

If I wipe my SD card, will it corrupt anything?

What about the Camera folder? Do I just need to set a new default folder after I wipe the SD card?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    A lot of stuff is created automatically when you first put the SD Card in the phone so stuff like the Camera folder should appear automatically.

I know Angry Birds defaults to the SD, but it stores the data and saves on the handset.

I'm not sure it will corrupt anything though. Have you a spare SD Card you can fire in, see what it does to that and how your phone performs?

3. saj_2001ind

saj_2001ind Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    the apps which u had installed on sd will not work after u wipe ur sd card

4. BOZG

BOZG Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Political hack
    Dublin, Ireland
    I considered your advice then my impatient side tookover so decided to go ahead and format card because I'm on the bus and bored! It's a fresh install so not much to lose anyway.

Everything seems to be fine. A few of the .filename folders stayed or were automatically recreated immediately. No camera folder on first check but snapped a picture and it recreated DCIM folder.