• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wired (boom) headset - Xperia Mini Pro

Terry1100

Nov 4, 2009
Hi All

Just got my Xperia Mini Pro - and loving it.

But I am not a fan of bluetooth - I like my headset to be physically plugged in to the phone - and I like a boom.

Unfortunately, my current headset is incompatible

Research tells me that iPhone, Blackberry (I think mine is this type) and HTC are different - but what is the Xperia Mini Pro - which type do I want.

Even a confirmed pinout to allow me to make one would be helpfull.

Better yet, does anyone know of a wired boom headset (or adaptor cable) that is definitely compatible with the Xperia Mini Pro. If there was a genuine SE model I would buy it without hesitation.

TIA

Terry

Answering my own question.

IT appears that the Sony uses OMTP type pinouts which is the same as Nokia (and Samsung) but NOT the same as iPod/iPhone, HTC and Blackberry which use CTIA pinouts.

Don't make the assumption that a "Smartphone adaptor" will work - it wont.

Until I find the right headset buddy to allow me to use a PC (2x3.5mm) headset, the Nokia AD-53 adaptor should do the trick

FURTHER UPDATE

The Nokia AD-53 should allow the use of an Xbox headset. I'll confirm that shortly.

FURTHER FURTHER UPDATE

The Nokia AD-53 is the solution of choice. It is neat, high quality and wroks well with a 2.5mm headset. It allows a wide choice of headsets including XBox. The "Headset Buddy" (and it's StarTech.com equivalent) DO NOT work on the Mini Pro

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones