• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The apple iPhone earbuds with inline mic work just fine, I understand. (I have some but just haven't had them plugged in when I get a call.)

I have the apple headset with mic - but the mic isnt working - is that normal - anyone know???

That definitely isn't normal. I actually just bought an Apple stereo headset & mic combo (wired handsfree set) for my Motorola Droid, and I can tell you that it works.

it might work with the moto droid, but it doesnt work with the Eris for some reason. luckily i have the griffin tunebuds as a back up. although the sound quality is much better with the iphone earbuds.

Upvote 0
I posted this question in a different thread, but here seems more appropriate:

Having similar issues as OP. I commute through parts of NY so I can't use the handset, BUT rather than spending the $$ to get a new earpiece, I'm intrigued by the idea of using Eris' speakerphone in conjunction with the fm transmitter i use for my mp3 player in the car (it's a headphone jack).

Ideally it'd be great, but there doesn't appear to be an option to turn the speakerphone ON when headphones are plugged in. Any work arounds or apps for this??

Upvote 0
Any headset with a mic and 3.5mm jack will work. You may want to try all the wireless stores in your area. I currently use the headset that came with my blackberry for listening to music and they work great for calls too.

Just a note-- Not ANY will work. It should be compatible with headsets that work on iphones, but not ones made for Nokia (the ground and mic wires are reversed, so you won't get microphone if you use a headset made for Nokia).

Upvote 0
Kyleblowers

I have done this the same way you are talking about, no need to turn on speaker phone, with a head set plugged in, all the sound goes through whatever is plugged in, works great with an FM transmitter, only problem is you have to hold the phone close to you so the mic will pick up what you say.

Upvote 0
I have done this the same way you are talking about, no need to turn on speaker phone, with a head set plugged in, all the sound goes through whatever is plugged in, works great with an FM transmitter, only problem is you have to hold the phone close to you so the mic will pick up what you say.

Excellent! I just tried that out, and it works dandy, but I'd actually need the speakerphone mic functioning to make my setup handsfree.

Is there an app or something that could turn ON the speakerphone mic with audio going out the headphone jack?

Upvote 0
Just a note-- Not ANY will work. It should be compatible with headsets that work on iphones, but not ones made for Nokia (the ground and mic wires are reversed, so you won't get microphone if you use a headset made for Nokia).

Good to know. I always knew Nokia liked to make things different, but I didn't know they went THAT far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones