1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Accessories Wired Mono Headset with Boom Mic Solution

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darwin1859, Jul 13, 2010.

1. darwin1859

darwin1859 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I don't know if anyone else was looking for a wired mono headset with a boom mic that works with the Evo, but I sure was. I prefer these headsets for driving because the call clarity is much better for the person I am calling and I heard it is illegal to drive with headphones on in my state. However, I could find no mono headsets with a boom mike and a 3.5 mm tip for use with my splendid new phone. After much experimentation with my favorite old wired headsets (various plantronics models with 2.5mm tips) and some 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapters, I found a combination that works.

You need:
    a 4-contact 2.5 mm female to 3.5 mm male adapter (like this)
    a 3-contact 2.5 mm mono headset (no button, button)

This works with 2 models linked above. One of the models has a control button and a mute switch, both of which work with this setup.

Strangely, a 4-contact headset and 4 contact adapter is recognized as well, but the sound from the headset earpiece is extremely low.

Bonus hack: You can improve the sound of almost any earbud (the foam covered disc-shaped jobbies, not the type that fit in your ear canal) by slipping one of those funky jabra ear-gels over the bud. It blocks external sound and seems to channel the speaker output straight to your brain.:D

Advertisement

2. Stepintothedark

Stepintothedark Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Photographer
    St Louis, MO
    I always used my old XBox headset with that 2.5-3.5 adapter.. lol looked a lil geeky but it worked great..

Terry1100 likes this.
Tags: