• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wired Tether App?

Also I was thinking about tethering wifi which are far as I know is not against the tos.
Any tethering is against Virgin's TOS. They offer this service through their broadband2go with a mifi device.

Virgin Mobile TOS said:
Specific Terms and Restrictions regarding Data Services

If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, and similar activities. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your mobile phone or device regardless of who initiates the activity. You may not use the data service: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; (3) with "auto-responders", "cancel-bots", or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of traffic, or which disrupt user groups or email use by others; (4) for tethering your mobile phone to a personal computer or other hardware; for an activity that connects any device to personal computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage), (5) to send "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); or (6) for any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either our wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or terminate without notice any misuse of our network or violation of these Terms of Service.

Upvote 0
They are referring to their paid data service. I was referring to tethering my wireless internet which is a different story.
Tethering your wireless internet? As in using the Optimus V as a wifi card? As opposed to:
Wikipedia said:
Tethering means sharing the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone with other devices. This sharing can be offered over a wireless LAN (Wi-Fi), or over Bluetooth, or by physical connection using a cable. In the case of tethering over wireless LAN, the feature may be branded as a mobile hotspot. The Internet-connected mobile phone acts as a portable router when providing tethering services to others.

Upvote 0
Easy Tether works best for me.
and yea its against VM TOS, but thats not stopping anyone. its going to happen anyway, unless you physically make them not do it. rules get broken, its part of life.
and im not encouraging it, just simply answering a question.
and im sure that happyroot is trying to say, using his/her phone as a wifi card, to access his/her home (or other) wifi network(not virgin mobiles mobile data/web/network, but another ISP) because his/her computer does not have a built in wifi card, not using it to gain internet access through mobile web. which is not in VM's TOS because its not using their services.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones