• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wired Tethering and Windows Firewall

Goodspike

Android Expert
Dec 28, 2010
Seattle
First, let me admit I feel like an idiot. It took me well over a year to even try wired tethering, as opposed to a wireless hotspot. The former is so much better. For one thing, your phone actually charges rather than drains! But wired just sounded so low tech! :eek:

But I'm having a problem with the Win7 Windows firewall. Every time I connect it thinks it's a new network connection that I've never used before, so I have to go through the selection of Home/Work/Public each time. I know I could have it default to public for all connections, but is there another solution?

Install an Android firewall. (The worst one makes Windows Firewall look like a toy. Linux without a firewall is more secure than Windows firewall.) Turn off Windows firewall. If you don't trust the routers you're using your Windows box on, install a decent firewall on the Windows box. Almost all of them can be set to allow the Android tether to handle security and kind of turn themselves off when you're tethered to your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones