• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wired/Wireless in the home, help needed...

Spencer4

Lurker
Jul 10, 2010
UK
Hello,

First post and a little left-field perhaps. Having bought a new smart phone I'd like to have a wireless router in the house so that I can use the wi-fi with the phone.

At present I have an old 4-port wired router and have wires stretching through many rooms connecting various computers. I'd really like to keep the wired set-up as the main hassle has already been navigated.

Can someone recommend a fairly simple solution, a router that can still give me the wired connections to the 3 computers I'm using at present, but that can also allow me to use my phone and lap-tops wirelessly at the same time?

Hopefully not too expensive, or complicated to set up as I'm a bit of a techno-dinosaur. UK based btw.

Thanks.

Hello,

First post and a little left-field perhaps. Having bought a new smart phone I'd like to have a wireless router in the house so that I can use the wi-fi with the phone.

At present I have an old 4-port wired router and have wires stretching through many rooms connecting various computers. I'd really like to keep the wired set-up as the main hassle has already been navigated.

Can someone recommend a fairly simple solution, a router that can still give me the wired connections to the 3 computers I'm using at present, but that can also allow me to use my phone and lap-tops wirelessly at the same time?

Hopefully not too expensive, or complicated to set up as I'm a bit of a techno-dinosaur. UK based btw.

Thanks.

I personally still use a Linksys WRT54GL with tomato.
It's a B/G router and should work with your phone and laptop as well as maintain your wired computers - it has a built-in 4 port switch.

I bet they are cheap now as well... and tomato extends it's capabilities.

Upvote 0
I personally still use a Linksys WRT54GL with tomato.
It's a B/G router and should work with your phone and laptop as well as maintain your wired computers - it has a built-in 4 port switch.

I bet they are cheap now as well... and tomato extends it's capabilities.

+1 to the WRT54GL and Tomato combo. I've been using that combination of router and software for a few years and I highly recommend it. Granted, it doesn't do N speeds, but unless you're streaming video, you probably won't need N speed. G is good for general web-use, audio streaming and gaming (unless you are a hard-core gamer, in which case you shouldn't be using wireless at all).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones