1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wirefly - Credit check on upgrade

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by cripen, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cripen

cripen Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    I'd like to order the Epic 4g touch from Wirefly, but I'm worried about the section where they have you enter a SSN for a credit check. I've been with Sprint for a long time and I'm simply doing a phone upgrade, not adding new service/lines.

When I emailed Wirefly to ask about this I was told that they don't actually run a credit check for upgrades, but that it's there just to verify the user. I'm still hesitant to go this route for two reasons:

1. It clearly says online that it will be used to run a credit check. Even if they don't intend to, they still can.
    2. The grammar/spelling in the email from Wirefly suggests that it wasn't a person from the US and they probably don't know what's going on.

Has anyone on here upgraded through Wirefly and verified that they don't run a credit check?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. falconey

falconey Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Atlanta
    If they say they are going to run a credit check in their terms and you are wary of those terms why not just get the upgrade somewhere else? It doesn't matter what has happened with anyone else, because if they end up checking your credit there isn't anything you can do about it since it's already listed in the terms. With that said, Wirefly is a legit company and I'm pretty sure your SSN will not be compromised if that's your worry.

3. cripen

cripen Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    It's b/c I'm cheap and it will cost $100 more to buy it directly from Sprint. :)
    The only other place I've found that won't require a SSN is Amazon and they won't ship it for a few more weeks.

I'm not really worried about them protecting my SSN. I just don't want a hard pull against my credit score.