• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wirefly has it up for preorder

taken from wirefly preorder FAQ for the moto xoom:

Q. If I place a pre-order reservation, when will I receive my tablet?
A. We will begin shipping orders on the official Verizon Wireless launch date for the MOTOROLA XOOM tablet, which is currently February 23, 2011 but subject to change. If you order additional devices (such as with a family plan), we will hold your entire order until your MOTOROLA XOOM is ready to ship.

thats why id rather walk into a local store where i know the tab i order is waitn' in the back for me. :)

Upvote 0
I saw that, but I figured that they are giving themselves some wiggle room in case there is a Motorola delay. Odds are that it will be waiting for me when I get home on the 24th without every having to set foot and a store and saving myself $60 in the process. :) If it is delayed a few days, I'll manage to survive. I'm guessing that I'll actually have to call Verizon once I get it to activate it. If that is the case, I'll try to get them to waive the activation fee.

Upvote 0
I entered my zip code before I posted that link. I wouldn't think that would follow the link, but it appears to have. You may want to clear you cookie or navigate back to the main page and then navigate directly to the xoom page rather than use the link that I posted.

Actually if you look at the top of the page that I had originally posted, you'll see that there is an option to change the zip code. The link I posted was for plans in my home area, sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0
I entered my zip code before I posted that link. I wouldn't think that would follow the link, but it appears to have. You may want to clear you cookie or navigate back to the main page and then navigate directly to the xoom page rather than use the link that I posted.

I opened up a whole new page and searched my self. I'll clear the cookies but to block an address without an option to change it, thats some messed up website ;).

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hey guys. I just pre-ordered a Xoom from Wirefly. I bought a DroidX from them straight out last July so I trust their reliability, but I do have a question. I had to check a box agreeing to some "instant savings discount" which said if I cancel service within 6 months that I may get charged up to $300 automatically. Is this the real deal even though the data contract is month to month on the Xoom?

You can see it in their terms here. Wirefly terms and conditions including our equipment discount policy

I definitely want to try out the data plan and am waiting for 4G, but I don't know if I want to keep it for 6 months. What are your thoughts? Does Best Buy have a policy like this? It's the same damn price there, sans the state sales taxes.

On another note, I notice the Xoom has been pulled from their tablet page now. I had added it to my cart, started the checkout process, then went back to the page in a different web browser and it was gone. It did let me finish my order though.

Upvote 0
The policy is to give a kickback to Wirefly, not Verizon. Verizon still has its own ETF's. I may get in contact with them as well. I see why they are doing it and it's for heavily discounted phones but I'm buying the Xoom at full retail price so I don't see how it can apply. Maybe it's just something that gets tacked on to the shopping cart anytime someone purchases something with a new wireless contract, month to month, or any other length.

To my eyes, it looks like Verizon is a one month minimum contract but Wirefly is still requiring a six month minimum for them, which is misleading.

Upvote 0
I noticed that also, but on another page it indicated the the plan was month-to-month. The ETF statement wasn't clear at all. I'll let you know when I hear back. If I am locked into contract, I'll just cancel.

There IS a 6-month "contract" with Wirefly. I pre-ordered it, then received an email asking me to confirm a 2-year contract with VZW. I called in to ask about that and was told that there is no contract with VZW, but Wirefly still has its standard 6-month contract to ensure they get their bounty from VZW. I immediately cancelled the order and told them it was ridiculous since there's no discount of any kind on the device. Wirefly is claiming the device is $899.99 and offering an "instant discount" of $100. I'll just go to Best Buy tomorrow and pre-order there.

Upvote 0
If it is just 6 months, then I might stick with it. I was planning on keeping the $20/month plan for several months anyway. Ordering through them is saving me $60 in tax, so the break even point isn't that long. I do want something in writing because their terms are very vague.

In my case, I was getting charged sales tax. Absent a subsidy or actual discount, I wasn't going to agree to a 6-month commitment to Wirefly when I can get it from BB or VZW and cancel the month-to-month data with no commitment. I've bought phones from Wirefly before with no issue. But with no discount, I'm not going to be locked to Wirefly for any period of time at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones