• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wirefly Still Best Place to Buy Evo?

dyh

Jun 3, 2010
I should be able to get an Evo tomorrow. Is Wirefly still the best place? Their price has gone up from the launch price of $170 to $190, but it appears you can still get $50 Bing cash back. And I think there's a coupon code for a free bluetooth headset.

I actually tried to order the Evo on the launch date from Wirefly, but was denied because my upgrade date wasn't ready. I think I'll give them a call and see if they can honor the launch price of $170 for me.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I ordered from Wirefly last Friday (4th), got it for $190, also will receive $50 back from Bing Cashback, plus no taxes, no shipping fee (and they sent it 2-day without charge), plus they threw in a Renegade bluetooth. Total $140. I activated it and it's running smoothly. No hassles or problems from Wirefly (I qualified for an upgrade and renewed for 2 years. There is a $18 activation fee, but I'm getting Sprint to waive it.)

Upvote 0
I was one of those who ordered at the $169 price, but who was then charged an extra $20 when the agent adjusted my order (single line upgrade on a family plan). I just wanted to report that I spoke with an online agent yesterday night, and they credited me back my $20 this morning. Awesome.

Also, unfortunately, my EVO had a backlight issue. It isn't the more common, negligible issue that a lot of people have reported, where there's a little leakage below the capacitive buttons. My screen actually looks like it's warped a little, and bright light is leaking onto one corner of the screen:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/...4small.jpg

That's a pic of someone else's phone, but it's almost exactly the same issue that's present on mine.

Unfortunately, Wirefly could not issue an advanced exchange for me (they ship out a new phone first, with a $250 deposit charged, which is then refunded when they receive the defective phone), since they don't have the phone in stock. So, I'm having to do a traditional exchange (I ship in the phone first, and when they receive it in a week, I'll be placed on the backorder list for the phone). That kind of sucks, and I'd asked them if I could just do the advanced exchange option, which would place me on the backorder list earlier (by today) instead of waiting until my defective phone arrives in their hands (in about a week) to be placed on the backorder list. Unfortunately, the agent informed me that that wasn't possible

Lastly, like many people, I also had trouble activating my phone, even after 24 hours. In my case, that's been a good thing, since I had to send my defective EVO back. Otherwise, I would have been without service for the next few weeks!!! (time to ship back my EVO from California + time waiting on the backorder list + time waiting on a new EVO to be delivered back to California). It seems as if I'll still have to wait that long, but hopefully my old phone will continue to work because my EVO never succeeded to accomplish the auto handsfree activation.

In summary, I've had a mixed experience.

1. Wirefly initially charged me more than I was told, because their online system did not allow for an easy single line upgrade on a family plan.
2. The presence of Wirefly agents here and at other forums has been reassuring and helpful.
3. They eventually refunded the $20 difference, and besides, with Bing cashback, it's a great deal!
4. I've had activation issues.
5. Since I have a defective version of a really popular phone, I'm out of luck and am going to have to wait at least a couple weeks to receive a replacement, meanwhile risking my existing phone being cut off as the EVO is being activated.

So overall, Wirefly does offer an amazing price, and my experience with customer service has overall been good. However, under certain circumstances like mine (defective unit, sold-out phone), my purchase with Wirefly can/has become a major inconvenience. I purchased another one of my EVO's from Best Buy, and while I paid about $100 more (after taxes), it was extremely convenient, and if I'd had issues with that phone, I could have just brought it directly back to the store for an immediate exchange (I'd have to wait for them to get the phone back in stock, but wouldn't have to spend the extra time waiting for shipping both ways).

I hope this helps as people decide where to purchase the phone from. I suggest going with Wirefly if you're looking for the absolute best price, but would also recommend a storefront like Best Buy or Radio Shack if you're looking for the most convenient experience.

Upvote 0
Actually I just got a call from Sprint. They said that I can go ahead and upgrade. Since it looks like there's $50 Bing cashback with Wirefly, even with the increase in price to $190 (so $140 with bing) that's still the best price right?

Might also want to check out your employer's sprint discount store if they have one.
For eg : My employer has some discount arrangement with Sprint and an Evo can be had for $75 ( after rebates though $300 - ( 100$ sprint rebate + 100$ rebate from the 3rd party that handles the corp discount store + 25$ prepaid card promotion ) with a Everything 450 plan at 62.50$ per month.
I think that's a pretty decent deal.
Oh and also a free car charger thrown in.

Upvote 0
A family member of mine bought one from them.. and he was put on back order (this was at midnight EST on friday morning 6/4/10 ... then they screwed up bing cash back so he's still on back order to get the phone.. finally got the bing resolved..

One thing though is they've been EXTREMELY helpful, gave him a free upgrade to next day shipping, refunded him the cost of his shipping and are sending him a bluetooth.... Even though he's delayed in getting his phone (and I have to deal with it because he keeps wanting to use mine) .. they have been very good at talking to him and trying to keep his business..

I would give them my business if I wasn't already pre ordered at radioshack

Upvote 0
And to add to that... Wirefly has been very active on these forums even pre-release to answer questions and help people with problems they had previously.. something i've never seen before.. so I'm very impressed (and no I don't work for them nor have I ever bought anything from them)

Upvote 0
I went ahead and got it from wirefly by reinstating the order I previously had for $170.

They told me that I didn't have bing cashback selected, although I did browse there from the bing website and I remember seeing "bing cashback" at the top of the wirefly site, so I'm going to contact bing in a couple days and I intend to get them to give me the cashback since I did everything correctly.

The other option was to order it for $190 and do bing again. This was pretty frustrating to me, but hopefully it will work out in my favor. I also should be getting a headset with it.

I'm going to have to sign up again for the employee referral plan, but I should be able to get that, and I'll have them waive the activation fee, although I think with that plan it might already be waived. One downside is that the units aren't in stock, although I guess that's everywhere, the lead time is listed at 1-2 weeks on the wirefly site.

Thanks for the responses. I guess another question I have is, does anyone have an update on the lead time for wirefly getting and shipping the units? Maybe one of the reps here?

Upvote 0
I went ahead and got it from wirefly by reinstating the order I previously had for $170.

They told me that I didn't have bing cashback selected, although I did browse there from the bing website and I remember seeing "bing cashback" at the top of the wirefly site, so I'm going to contact bing in a couple days and I intend to get them to give me the cashback since I did everything correctly.

The other option was to order it for $190 and do bing again. This was pretty frustrating to me, but hopefully it will work out in my favor. I also should be getting a headset with it.

I'm going to have to sign up again for the employee referral plan, but I should be able to get that, and I'll have them waive the activation fee, although I think with that plan it might already be waived. One downside is that the units aren't in stock, although I guess that's everywhere, the lead time is listed at 1-2 weeks on the wirefly site.

Thanks for the responses. I guess another question I have is, does anyone have an update on the lead time for wirefly getting and shipping the units? Maybe one of the reps here?

Hey dyh, glad you decided to go with Wirefly and we're happy to have you as a customer. We've been shipping EVOs out as fast as we've been getting them, and the 1-2 weeks shipping time from date of approval is still accurate. I wish we could give you a more definite time line, but unfortunately (as you know) there's stock issues across the board.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ari, I understand. If the lead time begins to shorten, as I guess it will at some point, would the wirefly site be the best place to look that up? If it hasn't shipped in a week I think I'll contact customer service and see how it's going.

I do hope bing cooperates with me about the cashback. That's a big percentage off the cost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones