1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wireless, 4G, or both

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by korg60, Oct 9, 2014.

1. korg60

korg60 Newbie

Just bought a new S4 (previous was an S3). after receiving a Verizon update last week, I now noticed a Bright 4G in the notification bar. I am on wireless most of time, and yet the 4G remains bright as if I'm on 4G. Can someone tell me if this is now normal as far as what kind of connection I have?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

3. korg60

korg60 Newbie

sorry, I did mean S5

4. acraftylady

Ok I didn't have that problem after the update so have no clue how to solve it but I think on the Verizon wireless S5 help forum there were complaints about this also but can't remember what was suggested. You might try going into a Verizon corporate store and see what they say. Mary

5. korg60

korg60 Newbie

Thanks, it appears there is an issue with the update pushed from Verizon, and still no fix so I've got that going for me

6. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

Mine are both lit on my newer S5 also, when both are available. But if you watch the arrows under the Wifi and 4G icons, you should only see them light up under the wifi connection when doing any upload or download of data.

7. rsisley

rsisley Well-Known Member

During the last update, something was done that makes both data (4G) and Wi-Fi connections stay on at the same time. Verizon will tell you that if the Wi-Fi is connected, you're not using the data. This is not true!! I was told that having both connected will allow the phone to decide which connection is fastest and use that one. There are also some apps that will only use the data connection and not the Wi-Fi.

As of now, there is no way to automatically turn off the data when your Wi-Fi is connected..........unless you use an app called Automatelt (or something similar). I downloaded it and set up a rule that when the Wi-Fi is connected (trigger) to turn off the data (action). I then set another rule to do the opposite (turn on the data when the Wi-Fi is disconnected). I would suggest not using the toggle feature, as it's easy for the phone to get confused.

I've do this on my wife's and my S5's and it seems to work pretty well, in fact I purchased the Pro version.

jejb likes this.
  8. korg60

korg60 Newbie

Thanks everyone

9. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

Maybe that's true, but it seems to make pretty good decisions. My wife's Note 3 and my S5 are under 180mb of data so far this month, with less than a week to go in our bill cycle. So wifi is picking up the lions share of our data use.

10. acraftylady

I wonder why my phone on Verizon is not doing that? I had no trouble after the update a while ago. I wonder if it's in only in certain area's it's doing that. I am just outside the city of Buffalo NY but I don't know anyone here with this phone to ask them. Mary

11. rsisley

The issue comes when one Verizon rep tells you that you aren't using data, when the arrows show that you are. I even sat with a rep, who was watching my usage and confirmed it. Either way, the option should be the owners.

12. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

I agree it would be nice to have the phone only use wifi when it is available. I think my wifes and my phones must be doing that nearly 100% of the time, but I can't say it is not occasionally using 4G while on wifi. I've never seen it happen, but will watch it closer.

13. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

Cool. I pulled down MacroDroid and setup triggers to turn Mobile Data on and off. Lots of cool stuff you can do with it.

It seems the stock google messaging app needs the mobile data connection to send some messages (not sure if it's SMS or MMS), so that may be why you're seeing mobile data use when connected to Wifi. It seems the Verizon messaging app (Verizon Messages) does messaging over wifi. I already had it on my phone since I'm verizon, but you can get it from the playstore if you want to try it.

14. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

I also noticed that the stock Verizon Voice Mail app does not work with Mobile Data off. So that would be using the Mobile Data even when on wifi also.

Anyone have a recommendation for a voice mail app that works on wifi, and doesn't steal information it does not need?

15. acraftylady

Strange, my Verizon voicemail is working fine and I don't need 4g or wifi on. I get the notice someone called and I dial in and hear my voice mail. You might either call Verizon from another phone or walk into a store and have them reset it on their end, had to have that done once on another phone when it was messing up.

I was using google voice for a bit as I wanted the voicemails sent as text but half the time I didn't get a notice I had a voice mail nor get a text so gave up on that. Mary

16. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

I'm using the Verizon Voicemail app, so I don't have to actually dial in to get my messages. It downloads them automatically. But only while on Mobile Data. I can dial in and get them, you're right.

Could be the same issue, not working with mobile data off.

17. acraftylady

Oh wait do you have to pay extra a month for that or is it included now? After the 30 day trial of visual voicemail I didn't subscribe and let it lapse. Mary

18. rsisley

If you activated it and then decided not to use it, make sure that you disable it in your settings.

19. acraftylady

Wait I see now. It's not working for me either to get the basic visual voice mail unless I turn the 4g on after the message is left. Found this out today as I had my volume off and missed a call and was not connected to wif or 4g and got the error message voice mail couldn't connect. I didn't subscribe to the voice mail plus, just let it run out after the 30 day trial was done so I am not being charged for that. Mary

20. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

Correct, it still works after the 30 days, and it keeps pestering you to upgrade, but you don't have to pay to use it.

21. acraftylady

I am not getting upgrade notices. Mary

22. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

I don't get pushed notices, per se. Nothing shows up on the notification bar. It's just that every time I play a message using the app, the main window is always some kind of ad trying to push me to the Premium upgrade.

23. acraftylady

I am not getting that when I play a message, weird. Mary

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews