1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wireless charge coming for TB, but how is this really useful?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vance, May 16, 2011.

1. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast

The FCC just approved the wireless charging battery cover for the TB. That is fine, but how is this really useful when you still have to set it down on a specific pad, which is plugged into the wall? Is it the idea of multiple devices on the mat? Is it just a cool tech factor? It doesn't free you up at all that I can see.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

If you can use it with the kickstand it will be very useful.

jennay22 likes this.
  3. fourseamer

fourseamer Newbie

It would be useful if you could use the kickstand. I could be wrong, but I think cover to mat contact is necessary for it to charge, and so the phone will have to lay flat on the mat.

4. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast

Yes, that would be useful, I could at least use my phone as my alarm clock on my nightstand. But my understanding of the technology is that it requires the conductive part of the phone (in this case the batter cover) to be connecting with the pad. Maybe just the bit of the cover that wraps around the edge will be enough.

Now, if it was over the air, rather than still needing contact, it would be perfect!

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I have seen similar systems that allow you to charge devices in cases hopefully this will work the same way. If it allows for kickstand used in landscape while charging they will sell very well, it would explain the horrible design choice with the kickstand and charging port.

6. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast

The mat just seems like a cool piece of technology, rather then a useful piece of technology. Is it worth $40 to not have to plug in the phone charger? Not for me. But it's cool.

7. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert

Well the whole point of the inductive chargers is so you don't have 500 cords lying around. So it is more of a benifit to thouse that have multipule devices that they need to charge. For instance if you have a phone, an iPod, etc.

It is also a convenence thing. Intead of having to plug the phone in, all you have to do is set it down on the mat. No pluging and un-pluging all the time.

8. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast

Yes, when multiple devices come with this built in it could become useful. But the extra convenience of being able to set it in one place v. setting it in one place and plugging it in is very marginal. But I would like to charge all of our phones at one place in a few years if this is widespread.

9. Wireless charger or lay it on a mat? Wireless charging doesn't sound safe kinda haarp waves eating your brain.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews