• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless charging or USB charging

It's an aftermarket thing that goes over the battery. I got it on ebay and it's awesome - I use it for my original S5 that I had to replace because the charging port broke. I have an SD card in there and use the wi-fi to monitor our home security. I thought I'd try wireless since I had nothing to lose with the old one and it works great so I've ordered another from the same seller. I just wanted to see if I could have it in my current phone and either charge it wirelessly OR plug it in. Not both at the same time. Thank you for your response.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
most phones these days....not sure on the older s5....the wireless charger will stop charging once, the phone is plugged in. my car charger does this. the car charger is only 10W...while my charger that is cigarette charger is 25w and charges the phone much faster. when i plug it in while it is wirelessly charging, a popup will say that wireless charging has been paused.

Upvote 0
most phones these days....not sure on the older s5....the wireless charger will stop charging once, the phone is plugged in.
But if the wireless charging capability is itself through a third party add-on (an aftermarket back panel for the phone) and isn't something the phone was designed for I would not count on it doing that.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It's my original back panel - it's a piece of whatever the material is with a tab that sticks out over the two unused terminals at the top of where the battery is. I have so many batteries I'm not concerned if I overuse one and it dies. And actually the battery usage is great anyway so I only have to charge it every few days. As I said, it's only on wi-fi - no phone company sim card and no apps running but our home security and the minimum Android ones.

Upvote 0
But you said in post #3 that the wireless charging thing was an add-on, or at least that's how it reads to me. If it's a replacement for an official Samsung part that ups the odds of the phone behaving sensibly (i.e. not trying to charge both wired and wireless at once) - though I don't think I'd risk it, and it sounds like you agree ;).

Upvote 0
I didn't know there is an official wireless charger for a phone as old as the S5. Yes it's an add-on. It's a rectangular thin thing that goes over the battery and two points go over two unused points at the top the battery. I lay it on top of a wireless charger. It charges. I take it off the charger. This is a phone that is useless for anything other than what I use it for.

Upvote 0
If you saw my original post, I did say I would never try to charge them both ways at the same time. I just wanted to know if just having the wireless charger inside the phone would be a problem if I plugged the phone in a regular charger. That would not be for the phone that already is charging wirelessly. It would be for my current S5.

Upvote 0
I wonder how it would work with the official Samsung charging cover, never got to try it. Unfortunately that cover made the phone too thick to use with a case which made it a no-go for me.
These days I have an S9 which has built-in wireless charging and it works very well. No excessive heating even with fast wireless charging, I have a couple of Samsung fast charging pads that have fans in them to keep it cool.

Upvote 0
Hi Fox. While I have you on the line ... your suggestion re new battery for S5 (specs) Thank you, peter

That's a tough one. Since the phone is long out of production, the best option (which would be an OEM Samsung battery) is no longer available. Any "Samsung" batteries you see advertised will either be fakes or ancient old stock that have been sitting around unused for years. Either way you don't want those. There might still be aftermarket ones available but the quality will be hit or miss and there really isn't any way to tell. The only advice I can give there is to stick with replacements with the same capacity rating as the original battery, any batteries advertised as 'high capacity' that are the same size as the OEM one will be bogus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones