1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wireless charging question

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by 12345Michael54, Jun 26, 2016.

1. 12345Michael54

None

May 27, 2012
    If it matters, this is with regard to an LG G3 phone, and a no-name Qi charging mat such as the one at http://www.ebay.com/itm/QI-Wireless...hash=item2eedc47a28:m:m5MivOnLIqxWKChk8uBy-Mg

Can I leave a Qi charging mat plugged in 24/7?

I'm thinking that if it's okay to do so, I'd leave it plugged in all the time, with the mat over on the corner of my desk, and just place my G3 on it whenever I'm working (at my desk) and not using the phone.

Any problems/dangers to doing this? Will it "burn out" the charging mat? Dramatically shorten the lifespan of my phone's battery? Cost me a fortune in electricity?

While I've never used a wireless charger before, and my knowledge of electricity is nothing to write home about, I suspect it'd be perfectly okay. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to post the question and get confirmation.

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Yes I've got a couple here that are plugged in all the time. They just sit there doing nothing until a phone with a Qi charging coil is placed on them.

Mikestony and KOLIO like this.
  3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I always left my charging mat plugged in with no problems. I would consult the manufacturer of your mat to be certain you are ok. It's way handy to put a quick charge on a phone or over night charge with the mat plugged in. Not so hand if you have to plug it in prior to each use. My feeling was if there was danger or excessive expense of the mat plugged in while not charging a device it would have an on off switch in place.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    yup,

I have 3 of them scattered around the house.

And, that is the whole purpose of a Qi Wireless Charging pad.

the pad stays plugged in all the time...
    you just lay the phone on it and it starts charging.

5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    @12345Michael54

Just in case you needed another affirmation,it's OK to leave plugged in/idle 24-7.
    For some contrast,mine go through feast or famine use,depending upon my use of phones with QI Charging capabilities.
    Currently,I have only one such device & it's not a daily driver,so,my 3 chargers have been plugged-in for several weeks w/o use & I still have a roof over my head...... :thumbsupdroid:

Mikestony likes this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    And, same here. :)

Your phone's charging circuitry will charge to about 90%~95% full and with Qi it can get a little warm (it's an induction coil, after all -- the same technology used in glass top electric stoves) but nothing it can't handle. After that it will trickle charge to 100% and then shut off charging. If you leave it there as the battery level drops it will resume a trickle charge at ~95% and take it back up to 100% with very little heat generated. Modern LiIon batteries perform better on smaller incremental charges than a full charge/discharge cycle. :)