• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless charging question

Heat is what kills these batteries over time, and faster charging = more heat. Fast charging is a tradeoff of battery life for convenience.
That said, if your phone is designed for fast charging you don' t have to be afraid to use it, but it is a good idea to monitor how warm the phone gets during charging and and if it becomes uncomfortably warm take it off the charger.
I use the Samsung fast charging pads with my S9 as they are the only ones I've come across that have a built-in fan which keeps the phone noticeably cooler while it charges. A cheaper pad, most likely without a fan, will allow the phone to get warmer while it charges.

Reactions: svim and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Heat is what kills these batteries over time, and faster charging = more heat. Fast charging is a tradeoff of battery life for convenience.
That said, if your phone is designed for fast charging you don' t have to be afraid to use it, but it is a good idea to monitor how warm the phone gets during charging and and if it becomes uncomfortably warm take it off the charger.
I use the Samsung fast charging pads with my S9 as they are the only ones I've come across that have a built-in fan which keeps the phone noticeably cooler while it charges. A cheaper pad, most likely without a fan, will allow the phone to get warmer while it charges.

I left the phone on the charger for over 2 hours and the battery indicator never moved.

Upvote 0
I looked up your other post and it appears you have a Pixel 3A, which does NOT support wireless charging. The Pixel 3 does but the 3A does not.
So, if you purchased a wireless charging pad just for this phone I'd say return it as it won't do you any good. The reason it gets hot is the metal in the phone (does it have a metal back?) is putting a load on the charger and it's the charger that is getting hot in turn transferring that heat to the phone. This isn't doing either of them any good and may actually damage the charger.
Your 3A does support wired fast charging with the proper charger and cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones