1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General wireless charging with ottobox on

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by silverado man, Apr 8, 2016.

1. silverado man

silverado man Newbie
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    truck driver
    Springfield Georgia USA
    Is anyone else having trouble charging their GS5 with the ottobox on? If not did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    The Otterbox is probably too thick for the wireless charging to work. I'll assume you're using an aftermarket coil with the stock S5 back since I know the Samsung wireless back won't fit inside an Otter or most other cases.
    Most Qi setups have a stated range of up to 5mm, so if the phone back + case is thicker than that it probably won't work. There are some that claim 8mm, you might try one of those.
    I have my S5 in a fairly beefy case although it's not quite as heavy as an Otter, with an Ebay-sourced coil and pad it charges fine. The placement is critical though, since the coil is offset from center inside the back the phone has to be placed slightly off-center on the pad or it won't charge.

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have two S5s with the Speck CandyShell Military grip case, and they are thick.

I had to buy several Qi receiver coils before I found some that actually do charge at 8 mm of spacing.

I also have found, that the Qi chargers are very sensitive that the center of the wireless charging coil is over the Hotspot on the Qi pad.

not the center of the phone... On the S5, the battery is to the Right side of the case viewed from the back.
    Think "left side of the case" when viewed from the front.

I have to offset the two S5s and my Note 4 on the Qi pads forwards and to the right just a tad.... you have to experiment to find the best position to make it charge reliably every time.

I now know how to position all of my phones, and they all charge the first time.
    and all of them have a charger that states it will work at 8 mm spacing.

4. Gurba

Gurba Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Norway
    I used an aftermarket coil with the original back and an Otterbox defender and had no issues with charging except I don't like the qi since it doesn't maintain the charging when the battery is full. This meant that the phone only had 80some % power in the morning.

5. monojack

monojack Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2016
    Male
    Wow that's crazy that your Qi charger kills the charge after the phone reaches 100%. It's not the problem with Qi charging thou, it's more that your charger doesn't design the power management well enough. A good Qi charger will enter the trickle mode once your phone battery reaches near max capacity, where it drops it's power output to a fraction of what it was and just maintain your phone at the full charge.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.