1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ace_tECH, May 9, 2015.

1. Ace_tECH

Ace_tECH Newbie

Hey guys I would like to know if wireless Charging will work with my GS6EDGE when I have my spigen tough Armour Case on?

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Wireless chargers lose efficiency/power depending on the distance between the charger and phone coils. Distance will also decrease efficiency and possibly increase heat. The charger will also have to be one of the more powerful chargers (designed for tablets?) and last but not least the material of the case will determine the strength of the induction between coils. Unfortunately, Galaxy S6 edge cases tend to be a little thick on the back to overcome the camera bulge and this will also affect performance.
    The only way to be sure to try it with different chargers. Not easy I know.Hopefully one of the members of this forum has the same case and can give you the answer you're looking for. I have a Ringke ClearCase and have no problem wireless chargers, three different brands that all work. My best-performing pad is the Choetech charging pad that has a wider surface area and more than one coil.

After all the unnecessary prattle above, I know at least one user with the specific case who has no problem using wireless charging.

#2 Snakeyeskm, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  3. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

im using a wireless charger with the spigen slim armor and its working fine there is a video on youtube where the guy trys out all the spigen cases with wireless chargers and it worked with the tough armor also. fast forward to 13 mins

4. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

Great video, probably the same one linked above.

Edit: Doh

5. 1080p

1080p Android Enthusiast

That's FlossyCarter on Youtube. The ghetto version of MKBHD.

6. CarpetPilot

CarpetPilot Member

What's the thickness of your Spigen case? I have a UAG case that is 1.6 mm thick at it's thickest point and the wireless charging works absolutely fine.

7. Joshuagrin

Joshuagrin Lurker

I just bought a new truck and the space on my center console is roughly the same size as my phone and the inside has a usb. The space itself is very the from inside to out. Would it be possible to attach a wireless charger inside to place my phone on top and have it charge? I'm using a galaxy s6 edge plus with a pelican case that is fairly thin on the back and mostly plastic except for the rubber edges. Is there any distance the charger works that isn't physically touching the charger?

8. Snakeyeskm

It's not just distance, but also the composition of the material. Trial is the only way to be sure.

Pugs1957 likes this.
  9. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

The Spigen Wallet S does not work for me using the Samsung wireless charger so it seems trial is the only way as Snakeyeskm says.

Snakeyeskm likes this.
  10. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Using a Spigen Tough Armor case with my S6 edge and the official Samsung S charger pad (model number EP-P1001EWE). Works perfectly.

Here is a (very poor) video :
    [​IMG]

11. Snakeyeskm

His problem is likely to come from the combination of his case and the material of his center console. I think he wants to place the charger below the console (great idea by the way).

Let me guess, you used an iPhone to take the video.

12. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Nope, could have used an iPod, but an iPhone has never darkened my door. It was my wife's Galaxy SIII mini. (GT-I8200N)

13. Snakeyeskm

Sorry for the insult. Your posts clearly indicate that you are way to smart for that.:)

dynomot likes this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Some Spigen Armor cases have a big chunk of metal in the back don't they? Put one of them on a wireless charging pad, and might find your S6 is now been induction cooked, and things might become very hot rather quickly.

#14 mikedt, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  15. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Really? Any metal between the charging plate and phone is a no no and possibly highly dangerous.

16. Snakeyeskm

The perfect case for secretsquirrels Galaxy S6.

17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If the metal was ferrous, like steel, it's going to heat up. How much depends on the power.

Basically there isn't really too much difference between an induction charging pad and an indication cooker. They both have a have a large coil in them, that has a high frequency alternating magnetic field. In the phone there's another coil that picks it up and charges the battery. Put a lump of metal in between, the alternating magnetic field is going to cause that metal to heat. Same effect as a wok on an induction stove.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge release date was April 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Exynos 7420 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2015
Release Date
Reviews