1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support wireless connect galaxy tab to pc and external harddrive

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scottyj, Aug 7, 2013.

1. scottyj

scottyj Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Is there a way to wirelessly connect my tab to the laptop which is on the wired home network and piggyback access to the external harddrive linked to the laptop.

Cheers for any feedback

Advertisement

2. jwither

jwither Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Opinionated Jerk
    Underground
    I use the app File Manager HD on my Tab to access files/folders on my Windows systems. They have to be shared in Windows of course.

3. scottyj

scottyj Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Nice one - just downloading it now. Any tips or advice for ease of use?

Wondows 8 on laptop. I have shared both c and g drive so should i now be able to access using tab?

4. scottyj

scottyj Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Has any other user managed to link their tab to pc via app file manager? I have shared both drives on my laptop but still cant see them using the tab lol. I am probably doing something wrong but if u have any advice i would appreciate it.

5. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest
    None
    I doubt your proposed set up will work. You need to be wirelessly connected via a NETWORK for access to the ext HDD on the laptop. For that you will need a wireless router.

6. jwither

jwither Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Opinionated Jerk
    Underground
    I probably shouldn't have assumed he was using wifi, but he didn't say that he wasn't. The laptop doesn't have to be connected via wifi in order for it to work.

7. scottyj

scottyj Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    United Kingdom
    The router is wifi which is i how i get my internet connection to my tab 2 and the laptop is connected to the router via cable (network) I just want to us the tab to connect to the laptop which the ex hd is connected to and be able to access the videos i store on the ex hd so i can watch them anywhere in the house via wireless feed.

cheers.

8. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest
    None
    Thanks for clearing that up. I now understand. Firstly you will need some sort of file manager. I use ES File Manager but there are others such as ASTRO which is also popular. When you have installed the file manager you can explore files on the TAB, transfer files via blutooth or wireless to other devices. There is a LAN option. To set up, just scan for the network and insert your user name and pass for the network(assuming you have set up p/words). Then, its just a matter of navigating to the file you want to stream, do a long press on the file icon and you will be presented with a choice of selecting the file type and what media player to use.

Hope that helps

9. scottyj

scottyj Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Cheers mate, i have just downloaded es file manager and found the area you mention. Where do i find out what server details i should fill in? and i assume the pass and user mean my laptop pass and user i log on with when i turn it on? When i say network i mean i have a router connected to all puters and ps3 etc via cabled network. I dont acctualy a server set up?

10. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest
    None
    Hi OK If your router is broadcasting wirelessly , hit LAN in esfilexplorer and scan for the network. You will get an IP address which you will need to remember for access. You will need to use, as you correctly said is your laptop user name and password. Provided you set up file sharing on the laptop you should see the laptop and external HDD. If you nqvigate to a folder be warned that a short press on a file will give mesage that file cannot be opened which is why you need to long press to select what program to open the file with.

Best of luck!

11. scottyj

scottyj Newbie
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    United Kingdom
    You fookin star lol - working perfectly now mate - i cant thank you enough. :) cheers mate.

Working on my S4 as well now. Cheers again fella.