• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless File Transfers

m165

Apr 20, 2010
I'm looking for an app to transfer files to and from my HTC Desire and MacBook.

I am currently doing it via an FTP Server app, but the big draw back is that it relies on internet upload speeds rather than using a LAN share, so it ends up being a lot slower than USB.

I've tried ES File manager as that as LAN connectivity, but I couldn't get it working with my Mac.

On my Nokia N82, there was an app I used to use for this purpose called SymSMB (SymSMB for S60 3rd & 5th Edition by Telexy Networks :: Symbian software @ My-Symbian.com). What this did is allow my Mac too mount the entire SD card (or any folder of choice) from my N82 as a shared folder on my Mac, which was brilliant. Basically like accessing a shared folder on one computer from another.

Is there an app that does this on Android?

You can use an app called "On Air" to share your SDCard over wifi using either AppleTalk, WebDAV or FTP.

Or you could try "Mobile SMB" which allows you to browse remote windows (or other compatible) shares from your phone over wifi. [edit - it will also work with a VPN connection over 3g - so you can access your fileserver from anywhere]

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies.

On Air worked nicely, pretty much what I was looking for.

I also found settings on my mac that I had to enable to allow SMB sharing (was buried in the advanced settings for Folder Sharing), so now ES File Manager works fine and I can now access my phone from my Mac via On Air, and access my Mac from my phone via ES File Manager.

Upvote 0
I have tried all these apps , astro: estrongs: file expert...

I can create a wireless link from phone to pc but I want to map a network drive to a drive letter.... the same way it works when you plug a camera into the usb port.

im not an expert in ftp, smp, http but I can see all 3 of these methods working with those apps i mentioned. but how do i simply map a drive to the sdcard of the phone wirelessly?

thx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones