• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wireless hotspot

Hey guys, im new to android, switching from a blackberry 9000.

Im pretty sure we need a ridiculously overpriced tethering plan to use the hotspot feature on the Atrix but will there be a work-around for that?

Also will 3G work on other networks if i unlock it, i read somewhere you might only get edge. i ask cause i travel a lot.

Thanks

You can enable it without being charged the (overpriced and imo you're being charged twice for data that you paid for) tethering plans that AT&T offers by rooting it, which has already been done thanks to the awesome modding community android has.

As for unlocking it, it depends on what network you use it on. Like going from AT&T to T-Mobile the frequency that 3G is on is different, and the atrix only has the radio for at&t. It would all depend on what radio frequency is required for the 3g on the other network.

Upvote 0
You can enable it without being charged the (overpriced and imo you're being charged twice for data that you paid for) tethering plans that AT&T offers by rooting it, which has already been done thanks to the awesome modding community android has.

As for unlocking it, it depends on what network you use it on. Like going from AT&T to T-Mobile the frequency that 3G is on is different, and the atrix only has the radio for at&t. It would all depend on what radio frequency is required for the 3g on the other network.

ah ok... Thanks

Upvote 0
I guess i should've clarified, i meant to ask what are the advantages of rooting it? Is it just to enable certain features that are locked?

It's like getting the administrative rights of your cell phone. Similiar to be the administrator of your computer.

From what I understand it allows you to:
Remove AT&T bloatware
Remove MotoBlur
Enable Tethering(without being charged)
Enable HDMI Mirroring
Enable Sideloading
Install certain Apps that can only be installed on rooted phones

Upvote 0
Hey guys, im new to android, switching from a blackberry 9000.

Im pretty sure we need a ridiculously overpriced tethering plan to use the hotspot feature on the Atrix but will there be a work-around for that?

Also will 3G work on other networks if i unlock it, i read somewhere you might only get edge. i ask cause i travel a lot.

Thanks
there is a way around it now already i just found it today myself cause i was looking for the same thing. BEST THING IS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ROOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just put in a new apn

mine is working fine in a 3g area and all i do is put it back on the phone setting when im done using wifi.

i got all this from this link Tethering on Unlimited Plan with Atrix - xda-developers

apn settings as follows:
NAME: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
PROXY:<not set>
PORT: <not set>
USERNAME: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
PASSWORD: cingular1
SERVER: <not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY: wireless.cingular.com
MMS PROTOCOL(if you have one, mine dont): WAP 2.0
MCC:310
MNC:410
AUTHENTICATION TYPE:<not set>
APN TYPE: <not set>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones