• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wireless hotspot

harvickchick

Android Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2010
Kernersville, NC
Do I have to have the phone rooted to use the hot spot thing? I tried it out the other day 'cause I don't use the computer much and I'm thinking of getting rid of
my internet.
I tried to connect it, and on my computer it showed the two computers but not the little globe and it said local connection only.
On my phone it showed the computer as being connected. How can I get an internet connection and not just a "local" connection...whatever that is lol.

Do I have to have the phone rooted to use the hot spot thing? I tried it out the other day 'cause I don't use the computer much and I'm thinking of getting rid of
my internet.
I tried to connect it, and on my computer it showed the two computers but not the little globe and it said local connection only.
On my phone it showed the computer as being connected. How can I get an internet connection and not just a "local" connection...whatever that is lol.

to use the built in hot spot you have to pay $15 a month.if you root im sure you can find one for free

you can also use pdanet and easy tether without rooting but you have to have their paid versions to access https sites

Upvote 0
Root is what you will need to tether for free, but by no means, will this replace your home internet. You can try but they will catch on and either charge you the 15 bucks or cancel your service. I don't have first hand knowledge of this nor do I want to take advantage of it. I am going to stop talking about this as there is a fine line talking about this on AF.

Upvote 0
I used PDA net for a few hours a day for almost a year with my intercept. One day it just stopped working so I figured that they caught me lol.

from my understanding if they catch you they cant stop the program from working.what they can do is blacklist every browser like metro has been doing.

for the record as someone who had his data banned from a carrier i am not recommending that people should tether.i was just giving out info.being banned was also why i decided to pay vm the $15 even though i still use pdanet on my pc.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I just bought the Evo V 4G and on the main Virgin Mobile website under the "ASK & ANSWER" section where someone asked why they asked for so much money ($15) for the mobile hotspot tethering feature and underneath the newest reply says:

As per a new rule with the FCC, Virgin Mobile is no longer allowed to charge for tethering, so this info is out dated

...and 3 answers underneath that it says:

Actually I just upgraded from the LG Optimus V ($25 plan) to the HTC EVO V ($35 plan) about 5 minutes ago. I specifically asked about adding the $15 hotspot addon to my plan, as it will be very usefull to me. The VM phone rep told me that it is ALREADY included in my $35 plan, so I don't have to pay anything extra. So, depending on what phone you get, you may not have to pay anything extra at all - a very sweet deal!

Somewhere I also read that they still say $15 extra still on the VM website because it is outdated.

Is any of this true to date? Did they stop charging for their mobile hotspot feature?

Upvote 0
I just tried to enable my "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot"
It says that the hotspot is active, but I am getting an "error code 67 - Unable to establish wireless data connection"
There is no 3G/Data connection, so basically it's not working for me.

If Virgin Mobile has changed thier policy on this, they either have not pushed this out to existing customers, or us existing customers may have to call them to get it setup and working.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I just bought the Evo V 4G and on the main Virgin Mobile website under the "ASK & ANSWER" section where someone asked why they asked for so much money ($15) for the mobile hotspot tethering feature and underneath the newest reply says:

...and 3 answers underneath that it says:

Somewhere I also read that they still say $15 extra still on the VM website because it is outdated.

Is any of this true to date? Did they stop charging for their mobile hotspot feature?

That person doesnt have a clue what they are talking about.the Verizon ruling was because they were charging for tethering on a spectrum they weren't allowed to due to one of the stipulations when they won the auction for it.it has nothing at all to do with vm or sprint.
And yes you still have to pay for it

Upvote 0
if you are stock i feel ripped off since i paid for it.

I am (stock that is).
Just my luck, I was seriously considering rooting mine this weekend. Unfortunately, someone had other plans and broke into my home and got, besides other things, my pc & laptop.
And with the on line habits of my friends, I'm not about to connect anything of mine to their systems. With my luck, my phone would contract an on line version of herpes.

Upvote 0
I am (stock that is).
Just my luck, I was seriously considering rooting mine this weekend. Unfortunately, someone had other plans and broke into my home and got, besides other things, my pc & laptop.
And with the on line habits of my friends, I'm not about to connect anything of mine to their systems. With my luck, my phone would contract an on line version of herpes.

that sucks being robbed.i wish it would of worked on my phone without paying but i always got the same error as the other guy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones