• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wireless keyboard & mouse not working, Galaxy Note help please

liviococcia

Apr 14, 2012
UK
Hello Members
I've purchased a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse desktop combo, the wireless is not a bluetooth connection but standard wireless micro dongle which is used for both mouse and keyboard, i also purchased a 'usb to go' converter lead which plugs into the phone, and provides a female USB socket.

I plugged the 'USB to go' lead in, and the phone reads this is connected, i then plugged the keyboard/mouse micro wireless dongle in, and again tbe phone reads both keyboard & mouse have been connected.

The problem is that the mouse pointer does not appear, and the keyboard does not work. I have tested the keyboard and mouse through a desktop computer and both items worked as soon as the micro wireless dongle was plugged in.

I did also tested the 'usb to go' lead while it was connect to the Galaxy note and plugged a flash usb flash drive in, it was read as a storage drive and i could read the files it the drive.

Can any member help me out with this problem, do i need to install drivers or something else, or is there a setting change i need to make within the phone?

Any help would be grateful.

Kind regards
Livio

What make/model are the keyboard and mouse? That could be the problem, since you shouldn't need to load drivers or change anything else. Logitech are generally the best for compatibility, they work fine for me with the wireless receptor adapters.
Hello NZtechfreak thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention that i'm still running Gingerbread 2.3.6

The keyboards a Perixx PERIDUO-707W PLUS, link below:
Perixx Computer GmbH: Wireless Combo

I have also tried other 'wired' and 'wireless' mice and keyboards, HP, Dell none have worked, and all producing the same result, The Galaxy Note reports there plugged in but no mouse pointer appears, and no input from the keyboard.

Flash drives seem to work ok though, i have ordered another 'USB on the go' lead just-in-case the one i have now is in some way not compatible, item below
Samsung Galaxy S2 & Galaxy Note On-The-Go USB Cable

I have read also that users have complained about this very problem under the android 'Gingerbread' OS on the 'Note'
Galaxy Note OTG adapter - Page 3 - xda-developers

But what i can't get my head round is that, the 'Note' reads the plugged in hardware, calls it by it's correct name ie a keyboard or a mouse, but nothing happens, it's feels more like drivers aren't loading, ....anyway i'll wait for the one from MobileFun to get here and try that.

On a side note, i did try and use a 'Bluetooth' OrientEX RII Mini Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard, and it all worked correctly, but for me it wasn't comfortable to use, or as responsive as a normal 'Wireless' keyboard/mouse, that's why i wan't to get the USB keyboard/mouse problem sorted.

I understand that if there's no way of making it work under Gingerbread, that maybe it will when the official UK Samsung 'Ice Cream Sandwich' is released.

Any further help would be again great form members though.
regards

Upvote 0
Just to update, i tried the Samsung 'USB on the Go' adapter with the same result, i get the feeling the use of the adapter was only enabled for the need to read Flash drives, and that Samsung's intention was to use 'bluetooth' for any other kit i.e keyboards/mouse, i guess i'll have to wait and see when ICS comes out, if the problem is rectified.

Upvote 0
For further information, I and other users have managed to get wired mice to work, so the usb otg connection is not limited to memory sticks. There is however a problem with usb devices that require a fair bit of power. The Note does not deliver the current to drive them. I have a large usb stick which does not work for this reason. I am guessing that the transmitter/receiver component of your wireless keyboard would also require too much power.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
Thanks touringhaggis, regarding the supply 'current' thing, i'm more of the opinion that it is less to do with it because there are loads of Youtube videos that just don't show the need for external power, when using a wireless or wired mouse, and in some cases keyboards.

Also, i think that when a mouse is plugged in and is read as a mouse by the Note, then the mouse pointer would still appear regardless, drivers settings would load and initiate, only the pointer wouldn't move, of course, all this could be tested using a powered USB hub.

I have a feeling that it has more to do with a kernal issue in my case, and that Samsung always intended on keeping USB for flash drives, and bluetooth for peripherals, and that they considered whitelisting USB host would save on the phones battery life also, ...just a possibility, i don't know.

I do know that i would't start 'rooting' my phone, or do any of these risky kernal programming mod's just to force the issue with the USB problem i have, i depend on my phone too much, so i'll wait for ICS to arrive then give it another go, or submit to having to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Regards

Upvote 0
It could very well be, because I don't have experience with your keyboard/mouse combination, but I would still be leaning in that direction. Since I have never heard of the manufacturer of your components I would guess that they are from the budget end of the market. I know from experience that cheaper components use more power due to the fact that less effort is usually made to optimise them. Therefore Logitech wireless components may work where your hardware does not.

Once again, I am guessing here, but as an engineer it seems plausible to me.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
I guess that this also could be posted by itself. However, it presumably is appropriate at this point as well.

ICS with Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1 does some great things, at least if you have the following Logitech Windows-based components - Unifying BT mini transmitter, red symbol BT keyboard and BT mouse (I use the Performance MX), and new 800 Logitech BT headphones. Turn the headphones to the standard BT position, not the unifying position. Use Samsung USB adapter and put unifying BT mini in that USB slot. Make certain that you restart after everything is done, and that you have detected and installed the headphones. It appears that the unifying BT transceiver is seen as a multiport USB, and the mouse and keyboard are immediately detected when restarted. The 800 sounds great. I suggest your power off and then start back up when setting things up.

The Logitech Android keyboard (for 3..0, etc) has all sorts of trouble. I am sure you will notice that some keys from your unifying BT keyboard are not correct, and/or just do not play. The Logitech Android keyboard does not suffer these problems if you can get it working Now to find where those keys went.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones