1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wireless Networking problem

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by devondweller, Aug 28, 2011.

1. devondweller

devondweller Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2011
    Hello,

I hope somebody clever here might be able to help me - I've reached the limits of my knowledge and the Support people I called resorted to Google - not very helpful.

I live in a large shared house that has wireless internet. I was unable to get a good signal in my room - the router (DLink DSL 2460R) lives in the kitchen - and therefore the landlord installed a second DLink DSL 2460R router in my room, configured as an Access Point with DHCP disabled, and connected to the main router by an Ethernet cable. Both routers have the same SSID - that of the second device.

The problem I have is that when I am in my room, my new HTC Desire S (and my old old Blackberry Curve before it) can connect and acquire an IP address, but cannot load any web pages etc.

My phone connects fine to the internet when accessing the internet via the main router in the kitchen, and also for a couple of minutes after I have 'connected' it in the kitchen and then am back in my own room, using the signal from the second device.
    My laptop (MacBook) can access the internet from my room (presumably via the second access point) with no difficulty.

Any bright suggestions as to why my phone cannot use the internet via the wireless access point? There is no MAC filtering on the router.

As I'm relying on WiFi to use UMA (v poor signal where I live) this whole problem is turning into a bit of an issue.

Many thanks

Advertisement