• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless tether discharging

side0ut

Jun 11, 2010
Hi all,

I tried searching but did not find anything to answer this question. I recently rooted my wife's hero so she could use wireless tether. Everything works great except that the phone discharges at an alarming rate. While plugged into the wall, it discharges faster than it can charge. Is this normal? I tried different cables/chargers but nothing seems to charge or keep the charge while wireless tether is on and being used. My evo easily handles the wireless tether and even charges up the phone while doing it. If this is normal for the Hero then I will not worry anymore about it. Will just tell her to use the wireless tether in 1-2 hours times to avoid draining her phone all the way.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi all,

I tried searching but did not find anything to answer this question. I recently rooted my wife's hero so she could use wireless tether. Everything works great except that the phone discharges at an alarming rate. While plugged into the wall, it discharges faster than it can charge. Is this normal? I tried different cables/chargers but nothing seems to charge or keep the charge while wireless tether is on and being used. My evo easily handles the wireless tether and even charges up the phone while doing it. If this is normal for the Hero then I will not worry anymore about it. Will just tell her to use the wireless tether in 1-2 hours times to avoid draining her phone all the way.

Thanks,

Rich
Two suggestions:
1. Look to see what else is running on her Hero while she is tethering. Be sure to end any other app by using the back arrow to the Home screen.

2. Be sure to turn off the display, as is isn't needed while tetering, and uses alot of battery power.

Upvote 0
I have checked both things and did not have anything running in the background. I always turn off the screen when not in use. So I am guessing that this is not normal and that everyone else is able to charge their phone while using wireless tether without having any discharge. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
I have checked both things and did not have anything running in the background. I always turn off the screen when not in use. So I am guessing that this is not normal and that everyone else is able to charge their phone while using wireless tether without having any discharge. Is this correct?

Personally, I haven't noticed the battery charge being an issue while wireless tethering, as long as I have it plugged into the laptop (for charging only). But I haven't tethered for hours at a time...

Perhaps others can chime in with their experiences? :)

Upvote 0
I swapped batteries with my wife (I have the evo) and it seemed to make a difference. Will continue to monitor over the weekend to make sure. My wife is bad about not power cycling the battery. She just plugs it in when she get home even if she has 70 percent battery life. I usually let mine get to under 20 percent before recharging.

Upvote 0
I noticed the same thing. I the phone is charging, however not fast enough to compensate for the power draw of running the wifi (connection between phone and computer) and the 3g data (connection between phone an the internet). Several times it has drained my phone to the point it would not turn back on unless I allowed it to charge for a few minutes. Just make sure your battery has a decent charge to begin with and leave it plugged in. That should slow the drain.

Upvote 0
I think I might have found the culprit.. For some reason, the never sleep when plugged in was checked. I thought it was weird that her screen would be on sometimes (dimmed) even though I always turn off the screen when not using it. It now will charge faster than discharging. Seems to work great now. :D

Reactions: JB in AZ
Upvote 0
I think I might have found the culprit.. For some reason, the never sleep when plugged in was checked. I thought it was weird that her screen would be on sometimes (dimmed) even though I always turn off the screen when not using it. It now will charge faster than discharging. Seems to work great now. :D

Great! Glad to hear you fond something. This will likely help others as well. Thanks for posting it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones