• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless Tether for non-CM7 users!

bigcc32

Lurker
Sep 15, 2011
It seems as if MSS Clamping is not needed to allow other devices to be tethered to the Triumph (which makes me wonder why it DID cause tethering to work in the first place).

Note: This was done while using MIUI, so it's possible that other various tweaks have caused something to work over and above what stock android can do.

It appears thatmy Triumph allowed me to connect to servers over the internet just fine AS LONG as I would specify an IP address rather than a domain name. That made it seem like the DNS was not working, but everything else was.

Try this (and post here your results):
On your device (not necessarily a computer, this was tested on an iDevice), go specify a DNS server (I just googled "DNS server address"). If I'm not just really lucky, you should now be able to connect to the internet like normally.

It seems as if MSS Clamping is not needed to allow other devices to be tethered to the Triumph (which makes me wonder why it DID cause tethering to work in the first place).

Note: This was done while using MIUI, so it's possible that other various tweaks have caused something to work over and above what stock android can do.

It appears thatmy Triumph allowed me to connect to servers over the internet just fine AS LONG as I would specify an IP address rather than a domain name. That made it seem like the DNS was not working, but everything else was.

Try this (and post here your results):
On your device (not necessarily a computer, this was tested on an iDevice), go specify a DNS server (I just googled "DNS server address"). If I'm not just really lucky, you should now be able to connect to the internet like normally.

I added the MSS clamping fix to MIUI.

Upvote 0
Hi guys
Does that mean us folks who are running MIUI can now do Wifi tethering? If so, can you recommend an app?
Thanks all.

Yeah, it's been possible for awhile. I added the MSS clamping fix a few releases back. Native WIFI tethering is coming (I actually have it already), but I haven't had time to put out a new release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones