• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether for Root Users Performance Issues?

eulerphi8

Jul 21, 2010
I've been trying to use Wireless Tether with my laptop and have noticed that it is extremely finicky. It usually works for a minute or two but then I can't load anything at all on my laptop. I'm not doing any heavy activity or anything, just browsing some websites, but it does this consistently. I have to toggle it off and on and reconnect my laptop before I can use the internet again. No error messages or anything, it just gets stuck at 0.0 kbps on my phone as if my computer isn't communicating with it anymore.

Does anyone have this problem or is this just a common limitation with ad hoc networks? Is there another solution out there? I'm using the leaked Froyo rom but noticed this with the official 2.1 rom too. Doesn't 2.2 come with built-in hotspot capabilities? I wouldn't mind using wired tethering either, but it looks like that won't happen until we can get a custom kernel?

Interesting, do you keep the screen on the whole time? I'm wondering if it's because it's going to sleep? Also do you use access controls or WEP password? I'm trying to figure out the best settings. On another note, access controls doesn't work anymore once I upgraded to 2.2. It just throws an error message when I try to turn it on. Maybe I'll just reinstall the program and see it that helps.

Upvote 0
Yeah reinstalling didn't the access controls issue. I have a feeling that it has something with superuser permission not being granted correctly to that module since it seems to get stuck at that step. On the other side, I was able to maintain a reliable connection with everything switched off. Maybe that helps...thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones