1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wireless Tether Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by leerpsp, Jun 5, 2011.

1. leerpsp

leerpsp Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    computers
    ky
    Ok guys i new here and i have hacked my phone and it is runing velocity v1.1 and i have the Wireless tether on it i use it all the time to get online with my phone hell guys im useing it now but i can be downloading a movie with my phone and the movie will be 700mb and it will download to 400mb or 200mb or even 699mb and it will stop downloading and the wireless tethering will till me that i am not useing no mb at all and i have to restart it and i dont like haveing to restart my download 4 to 5 times just to get one movie so can you guys give me some info on what is going on

thanks

Advertisement

2. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Chandler, Az
    I dont use tether except on occasion, maybe its vzw shutting you down. They have been coming down on people who tether without paying extra. But i could be very very wrong.

3. leerpsp

leerpsp Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    computers
    ky
    yes i dont use it all the time but i just started useing it to download movies and stuff and yes vzw called me and ask me y i was useing so much and will i told em i pay for the unlimited so im going to use it and i told em i am testing the new netflix app that netflix is going to come out with and after that they had me talk to 3 other guys and then they were asking me how i can use or even use netflix on ally it dont have flash and i told em it works like the youtube app and now they dont call me and they dont ask me at all so im good on that part so if they ever ask if you y you are useing so much MB just say im testing a new movie app and it works lol but with the tethering stoping after so long is not vzw shutting me down but it started this the farst time i used it form day 1

admn81 likes this.
  4. biggiesmalls657

biggiesmalls657 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Retail Clerk
    United States

i would be careful as they can shut you down. the packets that are sent from the phone are different from a rooted phone vs. an unrooted phone. So its possible they are watching you.

admn81 likes this.
  5. leerpsp

leerpsp Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    computers
    ky

will i got it fixed i used the back up of my stock 2.2.2 and now am back at v2.2.2 and i am useing a new beta of wireless tether and now i have it runing like it needs to it does not stop so far and i have downloaded 300mb out of 700mb so far so if it works very good i will post the app up on this page

6. iceman1110

iceman1110 Newbie
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Hey guy, this probably wont be helpful to you at all but it came to mind when reading your post. Several months ago when I was in the middle of moving I was using tether ALOT. (I normally use between 3-4GB of data per month) I had my home internet turned off and it was going to be three weeks before Cox was going to be able to get us online at the new house. I was not downloading 700mb files at a time by any means but it was the only way I could get my family online. Between myself my wife and our kids we racked up 9.7GB of data on my line that month. I didn't think twice about it since my plan is "unlimited" right? Got a call about a week later from Verizon confronting me about this, kind of caught me off guard. They even knew the exact amount of data that was transferred from PC vs what was transferred to my phone. Apparently they use different packet sizes or something? Hell I don't know how they can tell I'm just guessing. Anyway I explained the situation to them (I played the dumb card and acted like I had no idea that I wasn't supposed to do that.) They let me off the hook but informed me how expensive this would have been had they actually pursued it.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do or what to download but I am saying watch out how much data you use, especially if you aren't the one paying the bill. I don't know if they give everyone a free warning. Just saying they apparently do keep tabs on things. Sorry for such a long post. Good luck!

leerpsp and admn81 like this.
  7. admn81

admn81 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    MN
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Maybe its just me, but this all seems like a crock of shi*! I mean how can they advertise/sell you a "unlimited" data package and then turn right back around and call people out based on how much data they are using? I dont doubt for a second you are being monitored by VZW or any other carrier for that matter. Not sure if u guys heard how GPS(Tom Tom) in Australia if I recall correctly was monitoring people's locations and selling that information to the government.(www.vigilantcitizen.com) If you are person who thinks things are not what they seem check that site out. Just one more example how very little is actually private anymore. Yuck!

8. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    I've heard from several sources, one being DSLReports http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/82762 ,that 5GB per month is the limit on Verizon's "Unlimited Data" so it would be reasonable to suspect anything over that may get a closer look.

9. leerpsp

leerpsp Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    computers
    ky
    thank you man i dont wont what happened to you also happen to me and i have used and no joke 900gb on my net and i thank i will stop for a few mouths and they have not caught me yet so i will stop useing it and only use my phone net on my phone so thank you for the big help because haveing vzw call me like that hell i wood not know what to say to em but i still love this phone because i can root it and hope that velocity v1.2 comes out soon!!

10. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    I'm waiting on my phone call. Used 11 GB this month WITHOUT tethering

swc2001 likes this.
Tags: