• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether in Infrastructure Mode

Well update to beta 4 is now available. I never had the issue with wifi locking up but I put beta 4 on and everything is going fine. My wifi is usable after disabling tethering.

The 2 settings in the op should be the only things you need to change if you're stating fresh. You can enable encryption (I'm using wpa psk2) and access control as well.

Upvote 0
Beta 4 running fine so far, the best of any yet. I rarely used it, but the last one that worked for me was Beta 2.

Been having trouble with VirginMobile lately. I may start using this and save $50/month. Plus Virgin Mobile has a 2.5GB 3g limit, which will not last the whole month if you use Netflix.

This is running as fast or probably faster on average than VM ever did with much less trouble.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Anyone know how to get infrastructure mode on the Optimus M? I'm currently running the CM7 beta with the new Beta-5 with no luck. I tried ALL the betas including the stable 2.0.7 & 2.0.8-pre1 and get errors trying to run softap and netd. I can connect fine using wext (ad hoc) but would like to broadcast in infrastructure.

Change the device profile. I used one that isn't actually for this phone but similar enough that it works. Just try put some other profiles and read the log. Sorry but I don't have an optimus m so I can't help directly. Once you change the profile you'll have to choose softap again because it'll be using a different binary.

Upvote 0
Change the device profile. I used one that isn't actually for this phone but similar enough that it works. Just try put some other profiles and read the log. Sorry but I don't have an optimus m so I can't help directly. Once you change the profile you'll have to choose softap again because it'll be using a different binary.
I have an optimus m I will look and see, have not worried about it much as the optimus connects to everything, the prevail not so much unless it is in infrastructure mode.

Upvote 0
Anyone know how to get infrastructure mode on the Optimus M? I'm currently running the CM7 beta with the new Beta-5 with no luck. I tried ALL the betas including the stable 2.0.7 & 2.0.8-pre1 and get errors trying to run softap and netd. I can connect fine using wext (ad hoc) but would like to broadcast in infrastructure.

I have an optimus m I will look and see, have not worried about it much as the optimus connects to everything, the prevail not so much unless it is in infrastructure mode.
Ok looked through it, using wireless tether 3.1 beta 1 cuz that is the version i have on the optimus, should be same as the beta 4.
Use device lg optimus S and softap I used wpa2 encription and it worked for infrastructure mode.
But when you turn it off the phone needs time to reset the wifi I think it was 2+ mins before it could connect back to home wifi.

Upvote 0
It took awhile but I tried every possible configuration with all the profiles and no luck on the Optimus M. It came up with the same errors whether it was softap or netd. Here are some pics:

Errors from softap
Softap.png

Errors from NetD
NetD.png

As I said wext (ad hoc) works fine just would really like to broadcast in infrastructure.

Upvote 0
Ok looked through it, using wireless tether 3.1 beta 1 cuz that is the version i have on the optimus, should be same as the beta 4.
Use device lg optimus S and softap I used wpa2 encription and it worked for infrastructure mode.
But when you turn it off the phone needs time to reset the wifi I think it was 2+ mins before it could connect back to home wifi.
Just went back to beta-1 with a fresh install to try your settings and nothing. I still get the errors from softap as it shows in my picture above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones