1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wireless tether, is your phone rooted? Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamble97, Feb 7, 2011.

1. gamble97

gamble97 Lurker

I open it up and click on start and get unable to start tethering. Is your phone rooted?
    My phone is rooted. I tried to go to the menu and reinstall the binaries. I also tried to reinstall the wireless tether app and the same error still.
    What else can I try?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

use barnacle wifi legacy

3. gamble97

gamble97 Lurker

ok, I can try that one. I want an app that the phone doesn't have to be plugged into the laptop though. Is this one like that?

4. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

yes

5. gamble97

gamble97 Lurker

Does it allow browsing of secure sites?

6. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

sweet nits. I had some old apk, which I'm sure would've worked fine, but I like having an actual app that will update when available. I'll try it out.

7. gamble97

gamble97 Lurker

8. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast

sounds like you lost root during an update, you need to reroot

9. RCTreadaway

RCTreadaway Lurker

If its telling you you need root then its no longer rooted. Need to re-root the phone.

10. gamble97

gamble97 Lurker

I didn't have any updates after the root. How do I uninstall the root?

11. selvikin

selvikin Member

You may also want to check your Superuser app to make sure you didn't deny the app, but it sounds like you may have lost root somewhere.

EDIT: If you lost it, you don't have to uninstall it, just redo the steps again, I'd also re-d/l the the tar file and any other files to make sure you didn't d/l a corrupted file.

12. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast

You can always re-root your phone over an already rooted phone without harming anything...assuming yours is still rooted. If an app is telling you it requires root access maybe you didn't fully complete the rooting process.

If there anything else on your phone that's on there that would be an indication that it's rooted? Any custom rom, theme...boot/shutdown animation?

13. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

Sometimes you still have root but need to upgrade to a newer busybox....click problems? In titanium backup will do it for you.

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews