• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless tether on 3G??

falconey

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
I'm rooted and using the wireless tether app. For some reason I can't connect to the evo when on 3g, but have no problems connecting on 4g. I can't seem to find any threads in the forums where others are having this issue, but I hope someone can help me figure out what my problem could be.

Upvote 0
Updated the phone still no luck. I guess I should restate the issue. My pc connects to the phone regardless of 3g/4g, but it will only connect to the internet if I'm on 4g. Sitting here in the hotel room I can have wireless tether on with 3g and no internet regardless of what I do. Soon as i hit the the 4g on button it connects to the internet instantly. I must have something on my phone set up incorrectly.

Upvote 0
ahh ok that is weird. you do have 3g signal right? maybe try and wipe cache and dalvik cache and see if that works.

I'll give that a try once I find out how to do it, lol.

falconey,

when you enable the wireless tether app..do you also enable the access list so that your computer get online and browse the web.

I've done it both ways. 4G works with access control enabled or disabled. 3G doesn't work either way.

Maybe someone can post what they're settings are for me.....

Upvote 0
I'll give that a try once I find out how to do it, lol.

to wipe dalvik cache and cache, you need to be in recovery. what recovery do you have? to get to recovery:
1.power off
2.press and hold power+vol down to get to hboot(bootloader)
3.select recovery
4.depending on what recovery you have will depend on where to find dalvik cache and cache
a. in clockwork mod select "wipe cache partition" then select "advanced" then select "wipe dalvik cache"
b. in amon ra select "wipe" then select "cache" then dalvik cache"
5.reboot

i do these steps anytime i encounter any bugs or glitches. depending on what is going on, most of the time that seems to fix the problem.

hopefully, that will fix your current problem. not sure it will though. out of curiosity what rom are you on?

Upvote 0
to wipe dalvik cache and cache, you need to be in recovery. what recovery do you have? to get to recovery:
1.power off
2.press and hold power+vol down to get to hboot(bootloader)
3.select recovery
4.depending on what recovery you have will depend on where to find dalvik cache and cache
a. in clockwork mod select "wipe cache partition" then select "advanced" then select "wipe dalvik cache"
b. in amon ra select "wipe" then select "cache" then dalvik cache"
5.reboot

i do these steps anytime i encounter any bugs or glitches. depending on what is going on, most of the time that seems to fix the problem.

hopefully, that will fix your current problem. not sure it will though. out of curiosity what rom are you on?

Ok, sorry I didn't update. I figured out how to wipe, but there was still no difference. I'm about to give up. It just makes no sense to me.The only thing I can think is my 3g connection isn't strong enough. Sometimes I'm registering at .35 mbps sometimes I'm above 1 mbps. The only problem with that though is that I would think others would have this issue as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones